This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||November 29, 1980|
Yerevan, Armenian SSR, USSR
Hayk Melikyan (Armenian: Հայկ Մելիքյան; born November 29, 1980 in Yerevan) is an Armenian pianist and composer. He is widely known as one of the best performers of 20th century and contemporary classical music.
Life and career
Melikyan was born in Yerevan. He is the grandson of renowned poet, translator and publicist Sokrat Khanyan.
- IBLA Grand Prize International Piano Competition: Special prize (Ragusa, Italy, 1999).
- Valentino Bucchi International Piano Competition of Twentieth Century and Contemporary Music: 2nd prize (Rome, Italy, 2000).
- Yvar Mikhashoff Trust for New Music (Buffalo, United States, 2012).
- Orléans International Piano Competition: Samson François prize (Orléans, France, 2008).
- Lazar Saryan Composers Competition: 1st prize (Yerevan, Armenia, 2008).
- Orléans International Piano Competition: André Boucourechliev prize (Orléans, France, 2012).
- Gold Medal of Moscow Composers Union: for his contribution and promotion of the World Contemporary Music (Moscow, Russia, 2012).
- Honorary Artist of the Republic of Armenia (2013).
- Hayk Melikyan's solo album «Arutiuanian: Complete Piano Works» by NAXOS Grand Piano label was selected as The Best Classical Music Album of the Year within the Swallow Music Awards (2018).
Hayk Melikyan has power and agility to spare, with plenty of attention to inner voicings. He is never at a loss for style or direction in any of this music, which is pretty impressive when you consider that it really represents two very different styles.
- "Grand Piano Records. Hayk Melikyan". www.grandpianorecords.com. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- "Berlin to host concert dedicated to 100th anniversary of Armenian Genocide". news.am. 28 March 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- Hayk Melikyan, pianist, Hayk Melikyan at Gulbenkian Grand Auditorium (Lisbon), retrieved 2019-02-08
- Hayk Melikyan, pianist, Edgar Moreau & Hayk Melikyan play Franck Sonata op.36 (Extract), retrieved 2019-02-08
- Hayk Melikyan, pianist, Hayk Melikyan Chopin Mazurka op.24, N1 & Polonaise op.53, retrieved 2019-02-08
- "1900+ World Piano Music Concerts Series of the 20th Century and Contemporary Music".
- "Decrees of the President of RA". www.president.am (in Armenian). Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- "Naxos Classical Music - Naxos Album Reviews". www.naxos.com. Retrieved 2019-02-08.