Hedvig Hricak, 2010
|Institutions||Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Weill Cornell Medical College
|Alma mater||University of Zagreb
St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital, Michigan
Henry Ford Hospital in Michigan
|Notable awards||Doctoris Medinae Gradum Honoris Causa, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat
Order of the Croatian Morning Star of Katarina Zrinska
Presidential Award, Croatia
Hedvig Hricak has been Chairman of the Department of Radiology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center since November 1999. She holds a senior position within the Molecular Pharmacology and Chemistry Program at the Sloan-Kettering Institute and is Professor of Radiology at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University.
Hricak was born in Zagreb, SR Croatia, SFR Yugoslavia and earned her MD degree from the School of Medicine, University of Zagreb in 1970. In 1972 she came to the US and completed a residency in diagnostic radiology at St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital, Michigan, followed by a fellowship at Henry Ford Hospital in Michigan. In 1982 she moved to the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), where she accelerated through the academic ranks to Professor of Radiology, Radiation Oncology, Urology and Gynecology in 1986; she later became the chief of the abdominal section of the Department of Radiology at UCSF Medical Center. While at UCSF, she earned her Dr. Med. Sc. (equivalent to Ph.D.) from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden.
Hricak's initial contribution was to the development of ultrasound applications for renal disease, specifically to the diagnostic evaluation of renal transplants. She has been involved in MRI research since the emergence of the field in the 1980s and helped develop clinical applications for gynecological cancers, kidney cancer, as well as MRI and MR spectroscopy.
She has authored or co-authored more than 450 research articles, reviews and editorial articles, 18 books and more than 130 book chapters.
Awards and Membership
Hricak is a member of the Institute of Medicine (IOM) of the National Academies of Science. She serves as a member of the Nuclear Radiation Study Board of the National Academies and the Cancer Clinical Trials and the NCI Cooperative Group Program. She has served on as a member of the NCI Board of Scientific Advisors, as committee chair for the National Academies, Committee on the State of Science of Nuclear Medicine, Advancing Nuclear Medicine Through Innovation and a member of the NIH Board of Scientific Counselors. She is also a correspondent member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts. She has been President of the California Academy of Medicine (1999), the Society for the Advancement of Women's Imaging (1997–1999), the Society of Uroradiology (2000–2003), the New York Roentgen Society (2004–2005), and the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).
She has received the Marie Curie Award of the American Association of Women Radiologists, the gold medals of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and the Association of University Radiologists, the Béclère medal of the International Society of Radiology, and the Morocco Medal of Merit. She was named Honorary Member or fellow of several international radiological societies and Honorary Professor, University of Zagreb, Croatia. In 2005 she was awarded an honorary doctorate in medicine from Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich, and in 2010, she received the humanitarian award – the Morning Star Katarina Zrinska from the President of Croatia.
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center - Physician Biography
- "Hedvig Hricak – world innovator in tumor diagnosis". Nacional (530). January 9, 2006. Archived from the original on 25 July 2012. Retrieved December 31, 2010.
- Scardino PT, Kelman J. (2010) Dr. Peter Scardino's Prostate Book. Penguin Group, New York, p.191
- Search Results for author Hricak H on PubMed.
- Nuclear and Radiation Studies Board, Division of Earth and Life Sciences (National Academy of Science)- NRSB Board Members
- National Academy of Science, Committee Membership Information - Cancer Clinical Trials and the NCI Cooperative Group Program
- The Society of Uroradiology – Past Presidents
- Radiological Society of North America
- ISMRM Gold Medal, Society Award Winners
- 2007 Association of University Radiologists, 2007 AUR Award Winners
- International Society of Radiology Newsletter (February 2007)
- Radiological Society of North America: People in the News (August 2008)
- Croatian Government award
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hedvig Hricak.|
- American Association for Women Radiologists: Reflections from Women Radiologists: Portraits for AAWR
- Radiological Society of North America – Press Release-November 2009
- Zerhouni, E. (2009). "Hedvig Hricak, MD, PhD, Dr(hc), President, Radiological Society of North America, 2010". Radiology. 254 (1): 10–2. doi:10.1148/radiol.09092542. PMID 20032134.
- Radiological Society of North America – RSNA News-February 2010
- European Society of Radiology - ESR - Biography Hedvig Hricak
- National Institute of Health - John Doppman Lecture Series
- Current Opinion in Urology - Editors
- The National Academies - Biographical Sketches Of Committee Members