This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Heliotrope Books is an independent publisher based in Lower Manhattan. Founded and operated by Naomi Rosenblatt, Heliotrope specializes in cross-genre books with mixed sales categories, memoirs by journalists (including the "memoir-noir", a category coined by Heliotrope), and fiction set in New York City. Heliotrope also publishes a line of children's books under the imprint HelioTot. Notable authors include humorist entrepreneur Richard A. Moran; award-winning professor and bestselling memoirist Susan Shapiro; Catherine Hiller, novelist, filmmaker, and author of the notable marijuana memoir Just Say Yes; novelist, poet, and playwright Sonia Pilcer; and Leda Meredith.
As a New York City press, Heliotrope works closely with neighborhood bookshops and local entertainment venues including The Strand Bookstore, St. Mark's Bookshop, Dixon Place, The Red Room at KGB Bar, and Theatre 80 St. Marks.
- Neesha Arter, Controlled: The Worst Night of My Life and Its Aftermath. (2015)
- Cindy Brown Austin, Cinders: Stories of an Inner-City Survivor. (2016)
- Bob Brody, Playing Catch with Strangers: A Family Guy (Reluctantly) Comes of Age. (2017)
- Whit Hill, Not About Madonna: My Little Pre-Icon Roommate and Other Memoirs. (2011)
- Catherine Hiller, Just Say Yes: A Marijuana Memoir. (2015)
- Tom Huth, Forty Years Stoned: A Journalist's Romance. (2016)
- Janet Lombardi, Bankruptcy: A Love Story. (2017)
- Leda Meredith, Botany, Ballet, and Dinner From Scratch: A Memoir with Recipes. (2008; reissued in 2016)
- Richard A. Moran, Sins and CEOs: Lessons from Leaders and Losers That Will Change Your Life (2011) and Navigating Tweets, Feats, and Deletes: Lessons for the New Workplace. (2014)
- Digger O'Brien, Pointing Is Rude: One Father's Story of Autism, Adoption and Acceptance. (2017)
- Lianne Stokes, Below Average: A Life Way Under the Bar. (2016)
- Steve Villano, Tightrope: Balancing a Life Between Mario Cuomo and My Brother. (2017)
- Kate Walter, Looking for a Kiss: A Chronicle of Downtown Heartbreak and Healing. (2015)
- Leah Wells, On Another Note: Making Music at Head Start, A Memoir with Classroom Exercises. (2016)
- Royal Young, Fame Shark: Tales of a Lower East Side Hustler. (2013)
- Elizabeth Dembrowsky, My Monk: A Typographic Novel. (2009)
- Seth Kanor, Indian Leap. (2015)
- Dara Lebrun, The Bunny Hop (2014), Sub Rosa (2016), and Half Crazy. (2017)
- M.J. Moore, For Paris~With Love and Squalor. (2017)
- Sonia Pilcer, The Last Hotel. (2014)
- Nader Salehi, Trade Off. (2017)
- Susan Shapiro, What's Never Said. (2015)
- D. Yael Bernhard, The Life of an Olive. (2016)
- R. A. Herman; illustrated by Steve Haskamp, Gomer and Little Gomer (original printing 2005; Heliotot edition 2015)
- Leah Wells; illustrated by Amy Look, Thank You Very Much! (2015)
- Leah Wells; illustrated by Naomi Rosenblatt, A Song for the Birds (2014), The Rainbow Remembers the Music (2015), and Furry Foot Notes. (2016)
- Family Choice Award, 2015 - The Rainbow Remembers The Music
- Guernica Magazine Pick of 2013 - Fame Shark
- Kirch, Claire: "HelioTot: Books to Sing About," Publishers Weekly, September 11, 2014. http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/63971-heliotot-books-to-sing-about.html
- "Navigating Tweets, Feats, and Deletes: Lessons for the New Workplace Kindle Edition". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-09-10.
- Herrington, Sarah (July 30, 2015). "Making the Jump from Big House to Small Press: Susan Shapiro on the Satisfactions of Going Indie". Literary Hub. Retrieved 2015-09-10.
- Gonzalez, David. “Smoking Marijuana for 50 Years, and Turning Out Just Fine.” New York Times. April 12, 2015: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/13/nyregion/after-50-years-of-smoking-marijuana-her-life-turned-out-nicely.html
- Therrien, Jim. "Every suite tells a story in Pilcer's 'The Last Hotel.'" Berkshire Eagle. July 23, 2015. http://www.berkshireeagle.com/berkshirelifestyles/ci_28527884/every-suite-tells-story-pilcers-last-hotel
- "Botany, Ballet and Dinner from Scratch: A Memoir with Recipes Paperback". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-09-10.
- "The Secrets of Book Publishing with Sue Shapiro". Strand Bookstore official site. Retrieved 2015-09-10.
- "Lit Crawl NYC presents: Susan Shapiro's From Essay to Book Deal". St. Mark's Bookshop official site. Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2015-09-10.
- "Be Our Valentine: An evening of bittersweet love songs and readings Hosted by Heliotrope Books". Dixon Place official site. Retrieved 2015-09-10.
- "Deanna Kirk Sings Heliotrope." Post from Heliotrope Books' official Twitter account, May 19, 2015. Retrieved 2015-11-01. https://twitter.com/heliotropebooks/status/600804364454907905
- Mejia, Paula. "Q&A: Author Neesha Arter on Her Memoir, Survival, and Self-Love," Newsweek, August 11, 2015: http://www.newsweek.com/neesha-arter-speaks-out-controlled-memoir-361940.
- Excerpted in Teen Vogue, August 11, 2015: https://www.teenvogue.com/story/an-exclusive-excerpt-from-the-new-memoir-controlled-by-neesha-arter
- Phariss, Kelsey. "The Power of a Story: Controlled," The Huffington Post, August 12, 2015: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelsey-phariss/the-power-of-a-story-cont_b_7969442.html
- Excerpted on The New York Times Well Blog, July 1, 2016: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/playing-catch-with-strangers/
- Brody, Bob. "The Child Is Father to the Man," Wall Street Journal, July 19, 2017: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-child-is-father-to-the-man-1500501693
- A short synopsis of this book can be found on Wikipedia under List of books about Madonna
- Excerpted in The New York Times under the title "How I Buy Weed," March 19, 2015. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/how-i-buy-weed/?_r=0
- Thapoung, Kenny. “What It’s Like to Smoke Pot Every Day for 50 Years.” Marie Claire. April 29, 2015: http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a14266/catherine-hiller-marijuana-interview/
- Excerpted in The New York Times under the title "How Getting High Made Me a Better Caregiver," April 16, 2016: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/opinion/sunday/how-getting-high-made-me-a-better-caregiver.html
- Bahney, Anna. "How to Put Your Financial (and Emotional) Life Together After a Money Catastrophe," CNN.com, August 22, 2017: http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/02/pf/financial-deception/index.html
- Reviewed by Kirkus Reviews, January 1, 2017: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/digger-obrien/pointing-is-rude/
- Reviewed by Ron Suskind, Willie Geist, and Troy Aikman: https://www.diggerobrien.com/reviews/
- Michallon, Clemence. "Meet the New York City woman who waited until her 30th birthday to lose her virginity," The Daily Mail, September 10, 2016: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3783320/Lianne-Stokes-wrote-Average-didn-t-lost-virginity-turning-30.html
- Excerpted in The National Memo under the title "Donald Trump And the Mob: A Patsy Among Punks," December 17, 2017: https://www.nationalmemo.com/donald-trump-mob-patsy-among-punks/
- "Heliotrope Author, Steve Villano, Selected to Read at National Conference," Medium.com: https://medium.com/@stevevillano/heliotrope-author-steve-villano-selected-to-read-at-national-conference-241faf08e800
- Klems, Brian A. "A 30-Year Writing Journey Finds Publishing Partner at Writers Digest Conference," WritersDigest.com, June 2, 2017: http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/30-year-writing-journey-finds-publishing-partner-writers-digest-conference
- Excerpted in Honeysuckle Magazine, June 16, 2015: http://honeysucklemag.com/excerpt-from-looking-for-kiss-a-chronicle-of-downtown-heartbreak-and-healing/
- Myers, Lori M. "Interview: Kate Walter, author of Looking for a Kiss," Hippocampus Magazine, February 1, 2016: http://www.hippocampusmagazine.com/2016/02/interview-kate-walter-author-of-looking-for-a-kiss/
- Symonds, Alexandria. "The Royal Road," Interview Magazine, June 19, 2013: https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/royal-young-fame-shark
- Lubin, Jaime. "Greatest Love of All: Royal Young's Fame Shark," The Huffington Post, June 17, 2013: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jaime-lubin/fame-shark-royal-young_b_3445381.html
- Book review by Brandon Fizer in Honeysuckle Magazine, July 14, 2014: http://honeysucklemag.com/fame-shark/
- Book review of Sub Rosa by M.J. Moore in Neworld Review, Vol. 10, No.68:http://www.neworldreview.com/vol_10No_68/sub-rosa.php
- Excerpted in Honeysuckle Magazine under the title "Surrealism 101: A Night in August 1944," September 4, 2017: https://honeysucklemag.com/retro-surrealism-101-night-august-1944-fictionexcerpt/
- Serialized in The Berkshire Edge from October 24, 2014 to June 19, 2015. https://theberkshireedge.com/last-hotel/
- Segalla, Johnny. "An Interview with Sonia Pilcer, Author of The Last Hotel: A Novel in Suites." WSBS Radio. https://soundcloud.com/johnnysegalla/an-interview-with-sonia-pilcer-author-of-the-last-hotel-a-novel-in-suites
- Reviewed by Kirkus Reviews, January 1, 2017: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/nader-hossain-salehi/trade-off-salehi/
- Reviewed by Library Journal, January 19, 2017: http://reviews.libraryjournal.com/2017/01/books/fiction/fiction-from-debuter-salehi-and-yokoyama-xpress-reviews/
- Reviewed by Publishers Weekly, August 2015: https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-942762-16-4
- Rafter, Catherine. "How To Turn Your Most Humiliating Secrets Into Novels," Observer, August 5, 2015: http://observer.com/2015/08/how-to-turn-your-most-humiliating-secrets-into-novels/
- Chahinian, Haig. "Never Be Afraid to Suck," Los Angeles Review of Books, October 29, 2015: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/never-be-afraid-to-suck#!
- Shapiro, Susan. "The Line Between Professor and Predator Isn't Always So Clear," New York Magazine/The Cut, April 26, 2016: https://www.thecut.com/2016/04/professor-predator-line-isnt-always-clear.html
- Excerpted in USA Today, August 2, 2015: http://happyeverafter.usatoday.com/2015/08/02/whats-never-said-excerpt-susan-shapiro/
- "Poets Behaving Badly," Honeysuckle Magazine, September 6, 2015: http://honeysucklemag.com/poets-behaving-badly/
- Goldreich, Gloria. "Books for Your Kids and Grandkids," Hadassah Magazine, December 2016: http://www.hadassahmagazine.org/2016/12/22/read-to-kids/
- Family Choice Awards/Family Magazine, The Rainbow Remembers The Music, 2015. http://www.familychoiceawards.com/family-choice-awards-winners/the-rainbow-remembers-the-music/
- "Editors' Picks: Our Favorite Books from 2013," Guernica: A Magazine of Art and Politics, December 12, 2013. https://www.guernicamag.com/daily/editors-picks-best-of-2013/