Hennessy Gold Cup
|Grade 3 race|
|Distance||3m 2½f (5,331 metres)|
|Qualification||Four-years-old and up|
|Native River||Carole's Destrier||Double Ross|
|Smad Place||Theatre Guide||First Lieutenant|
|Many Clouds||Houblon Des Obeaux||Merry King|
|Triolo D'Alene||Rocky Creek||Theatre Guide|
|Bobs Worth||Tidal Bay||First Lieutenant|
|Carruthers||Planet Of Sound||Fair Along|
|Diamond Harry||Burton Port||Denman|
|Denman||What A Friend||Niche Market|
|Madison Du Berlais||Air Force One||Snoopy Loopy|
|Denman||Dream Alliance||Character Building|
|State of Play||Juveigneur||Preacher Boy|
|Celestial Gold||Ollie Magern||Royal Auclair|
|Strong Flow||Joss Naylor||Take Control|
|What's Up Boys||Behrajan||Take Control|
|King's Road||Gingembre||Alexander Banquet|
|Ever Blessed||Spendid||Fiddling The Facts|
|Teeton Mill||Eudipe||Fiddling The Facts|
|Suny Bay||Barton Bank||Eudipe|
|Coome Hill||The Grey Monk||Lo Stregone|
|One Man||Lord Relic||Commercial Artist|
|Sibton Abbey||Jodami||The Fellow|
|Chatam||Master Bob||Man O'Magic|
|Arctic Call||Master Bob||Cahervillahow|
|Ghofar||Brown Windsor||Mr Frisk|
|Strands Of Gold||Handy Trick||Mr Frisk|
The Hennessy Gold Cup is a Grade 3 National Hunt chase in Great Britain which is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run at Newbury over a distance of about 3 miles and 2½ furlongs (5,331 metres), and during its running there are twenty-one fences to be jumped. It is a handicap race, and it is scheduled to take place each year in late November or early December.
The event was established in 1957, and it was initially staged at Cheltenham. The winner of the inaugural running, Mandarin, was owned by Peggy Hennessy, a member of the family which founded Hennessy, the race's sponsoring company. It was transferred to Newbury in 1960, and it was won by Mandarin for a second time in 1961. The race's second running was won by Taxidermist, ridden by the amateur rider John Lawrence, later Lord Oaksey, who was the breeder and part-owner of the 2011 winner, Carruthers.
The race's association with Hennessy continued until the 60th running, in 2016, and was British racing's longest-running commercial sponsorship at the time. The record was previously held by the Whitbread Gold Cup, which was first run seven months before the "Hennessy", and which was sponsored by Whitbread until 2001.
Most successful horse (2 wins):
Leading jockey (3 wins):
- Willie Robinson – Mandarin (1961), Mill House (1963), Man of the West (1968)
Leading trainer (7 wins):
- Fulke Walwyn – Mandarin (1957, 1961), Taxidermist (1958), Mill House (1963), Man of the West (1968), Charlie Potheen (1972), Diamond Edge (1981)
- "Carruthers claims Hennessy Gold Cup victory at Newbury". BBC Sport. 2011-11-26.
- "Hennessy Gold Cup sponsorship ends after 60 years". BBC News. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- Racing Post:
- pedigreequery.com – Hennessy Gold Cup – Newbury.
- sportingchronicle.com – Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup.
- Ladbrokes Pocket Companion 1990/91. Aesculus Press. 1990. p. 42. ISBN 1-871093-21-X.
- The Breedon Book of Horse Racing Records. Breedon Books. 1993. p. 225. ISBN 1-873626-15-0.
- Race Recordings