||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
Henry Isaac Ergas AO is a regulatory economist who has worked at the OECD, Australian Trade Practices Commission (now the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) and the Australian Centre of Regulatory Economics (ACORE) Advisory Group. He chaired the Australian Intellectual Property and Competition Review Committee set up by the Australian Federal Government in 1999 to review Australia's intellectual property laws as they relate to competition policy. He is Adjunct Professor of Economics at the National University of Singapore and has taught at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, the Centre for Research in Network Economics and Communications at the University of Auckland, Monash University and at the Ecole Nationale de la Statistique et de l'Administration Economique in Paris. He was an independent contributor to a paper submitted to the U.S. FCC which cautions against imposing regulations that, while aimed at net neutrality, may cause costs that exceed the expected benefits.
- 2016 (forthcoming) "Tocqueville, Hancock and the Sense of History" in "Only in Australia. The History, Politics and Economics of Australian Exceptionalism" to be published by Oxford University Press.
- 2010 - (with Franceso Paolucci, Terry Hannan and Jos Aarts) ‘The Effectiveness of Health Informatics’, in Healthcare and the Effect of Technology: Developments, Challenges and Advancements, Stefane M. Kabene (Ed.), Healthcare and the Effect of Technology: Developments, Challenges and Advancements
- 2010 - “New policies create a new politics: issues of institutional design in climate change policy” Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, April, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics
- 2009 - Professor of Infrastructure Economics, SMART Infrastructure Facility, University of Wollongong
- 2009 - Senior Economic Adviser, Deloitte Australia
- 2005 - Member, Prime Minister’s Taskforce on Export and Infrastructure
- 2004 – Adjunct Professor, School of Economics, National University of Singapore
- 2004 – Member, Australian Centre of Regulatory Economics (ACORE) Advisory Board
- 2004 - Member, French Ordre National du Mérite
- 2002 – Editorial Board, The Review of Network Economics
- 2001 - Lay Member, New Zealand High Court
- 1999 - Chairman, Intellectual Property and Competition Review Committee, Attorney-General’s Department, Australia
- 1998 - Member, Commissione Scientifica, Telecom Italia, Rome, Italy
- 1997 - Member, Advisory Panel on Telecommunications Reform to the Minister for Communications and the Arts, Australia
- 1996-2007; 2013- (ongoing) - Member, Association des Copains du Gouvernement (A.C.G.), Advisory Board
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN) Henry Ergas
- Henry Ergas' columns published in The Australian (newspaper)
- "Net Neutrality Regulation: The Economic Evidence by Jerry Brito, Martin Cave, Robert Crandall, Larry Darby, Everett Ehrlich, Jeffrey Eisenach, Jerry Ellig, Henry Ergas, David Farber, Gerald Faulhaber, Robert Hahn, Alfred Kahn, Wayne Leighton, Robert Litan, Glen Robinson, Hal Singer, Vernon Smith, William Taylor, Timothy Tardiff, Leonard Waverman, Dennis Weisman :: SSRN". Papers.ssrn.com. doi:10.2139/ssrn.1587058. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Leading Economist Appointed at SMART Infrastructure Facility, Campus Daily, 18 August 2010