Henry Howard, 18th Earl of Suffolk
Henry Charles Howard, 18th Earl of Suffolk, 11th Earl of Berkshire (10 September 1833 – 31 March 1898), styled Viscount Andover between 1851 and 1876, was a British peer and Liberal Party politician.
At the 1859 general election he was elected unopposed as the Member of Parliament (MP) for the brough of Malmesbury in Wiltshire. He was re-elected in 1865 in a two-way contest, but was defeated at the 1868 general election. In 1876 he succeeded his father as Earl of Suffolk and entered the House of Lords. He was also a member of Wiltshire County Council from 1889.
The Encyclopaedia of Sports, Edited by the Earl of Suffolk and Berkshire, Hedley Peek, and F. G. Aflalo, 1897-1898 - 2 Volume Set - London - Lawrence and Bullen
Lord Suffolk married Mary Eleanor Lauderdale, daughter of the Hon. Henry Amelius Coventry, in 1868. They had six children:
- Lady Mary Muriel Sophie Howard (1 March 1870 – 19 February 1938), married her first cousin Henry Robert Beauclerk Coventry and had issue
- Lady Eleanor Mabel Howard (11 February 1873 – 9 March 1945), married Maj. Hon. Lionel Byng, son of George Byng, 2nd Earl of Strafford, in 1902 and had issue; married Henry Atkinson in 1922
- Lady Agnes Isabel Howard (30 June 1874 – 1970), married Maj. Arthur Poynter in 1917
- Henry Molyneux Paget Howard, 19th Earl of Suffolk (1877–1917)
- Lady Katherine Millicent Howard (10 September 1883 – 1 April 1961)
- Hon. James Knyvett Estcourt Howard (1 May 1886 – 5 December 1964), married Nancy Lubbock (daughter of Edgar Lubbock and Amy Myddelton Peacock), and had issue
He died in March 1898, aged 64, and was succeeded in his titles by his eldest son, Henry. The Countess of Suffolk died in October 1928, aged 81.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "M" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Lundy, Darryl. "Henry Charles Howard, 18th Earl of Suffolk". ThePeerage.com. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 203. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Suffolk
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Malmesbury
1859 – 1868
|Peerage of England|
Charles John Howard
|Earl of Suffolk
1876 – 1898
|Earl of Berkshire
1876 – 1898