Herbert Angas Parsons
Early life and education
He was educated at Prince Alfred College and Roseworthy Agricultural College before spending three years following "pastoral and financial pursuits". He then studied law at the University of Adelaide, graduating in March 1897, aged 24.
He was admitted to the Bar later in 1897.
In 1912 he stood for parliament and was elected member of the South Australian House of Assembly for Torrens (1912-1915), and subsequently member for Murray. He was briefly Attorney-General of South Australia and minister of education in 1915. Parsons was appointed K.C. in 1916, a judge of the Supreme Court in 1921, senior puisne judge in 1927, and acting chief justice in 1935. On occasions Parsons acted as deputy governor and, after his father's death, in 1904 he became consul for Japan.
Service and recognition
Like his father-in-law, he became president of the Cornish Association of South Australia. He was also warden of the University of Adelaide's senate, and vice-chancellor from 1942-1944.
He was knighted in 1936, and appointed Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) in 1945. He retired in 1945 and, having "spent many hours at the Adelaide Club, preferring its convivial atmosphere to his wife's Methodism".
- Elizabeth Kwan, 'Parsons, John Langdon (1837–1903)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 11, Melbourne University Press, 1988, pp 148-150.
- Elizabeth Kwan, 'Parsons, Sir Herbert Angas (1872 - 1945)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 11, Melbourne University Press, 1988, pp 148-150.
- Statistical Record of the Legislature 1836-2007, Parliament of South Australia, pp.69&71.
- Knight Bachelor, 1 January 1936 Citation: Puisne Judge in South Australia
- KBE, 14 June 1945
- W. B. Pitcher, Bonython, Sir John Langdon (1848 - 1939), Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 7, Melbourne University Press, 1979, pp 339-341
|Attorney-General of South Australia
|Parliament of South Australia|
|Member for Torrens
Maurice William Parish
|Member for Murray
John Francis Godfree
John Beavis Randell