Herman Brearley was born in Batley, Yorkshire.
He was appointed Conductor of the Preston Choral Society in 1918, and conductor of the Blackburn Philharmonic Choral Society in 1922. He was also the Conductor of the Meistersingers Society, the Northrop Male Voice Choir and the Grammar School Society.
He was also Blackburn Borough organist, the first holder of the post, 1922 - 1930.
He was also Music Master at Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, Blackburn.
Assistant Organist of :
- Lichfield Cathedral ???? - 1895
- Halstead Parish Church, Essex, 1895–1901
- Holy Trinity, Hastings 1901 - ????
- All Saints, Hastings ???? - 1916
- Blackburn Cathedral 1916 - 1939
Charles Hylton Stewart
|Organist and Master of the Choristers of Blackburn Cathedral
Thomas Lucas Duerden
- The Succession of Organists. Watkins Shaw.
- 20th Century Cathedral Organists. Enid Bird
- The Musical Times. July 1940
- The history of the Royal Manchester College of Music, 1893-1972. Michael Kennedy
- The Hallé tradition: a century of music By Michael Kennedy