High Level Threat Panel
The High Level Panel on Threats, Challenges and Change of the United Nations, chaired by former Thai Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun and including former United States National Security Advisor Brent Scowcroft and several former heads of government and foreign ministers as members, produced in December 2004 an report on the threats to the future of humanity.
The ten threats identified in 2004 by the High Level Threat Panel of the United Nations are these:
- Infectious disease
- Environmental degradation
- Inter-state war
- Civil war
- Other Atrocities (e.g., trade in women and children for sexual slavery, or kidnapping for body parts)
- Weapons of mass destruction (nuclear proliferation, chemical weapon proliferation, biological weapon proliferation)
- Transnational organized crime
- Establishment and Membership of the High Level Threat Panel[dead link]
- Report of the High Level Panel on Threats, Challenges and Change "A more secure world: Our shared responsibility"