List of universities in New Zealand
This is a list of the universities in New Zealand, of which there are eight. Many of the universities are descended from the former University of New Zealand, a federal university that existed from 1870 to 1961. In 2013, the universities provided tertiary education to over 180,000 students or 132,553 equivalent full-time students (EFTS).
|Name||Main campus||Established||Student headcount||Equivalent full-time students||Staff
funding ($M, 2013)
|Auckland University of Technology||Auckland||2000i||29,014||19,971||2,143||150||7,963||8.8|
|Massey University||Palmerston North||1927||31,501||18,944||2,994||185||9,849||6.4|
|University of Auckland||Auckland||1883||41,866||33,118||4,909||389||11,819||6.7|
|University of Canterbury||Christchurch||1873||14,830||11,931||1,907||152||12,739||6.3|
|University of Otago||Dunedin||1869||20,796||18,531||3,838||271||14,731||4.9|
|University of Waikato||Hamilton||1964||12,278||10,018||1,520||102||10,257||6.6|
|Victoria University of Wellington||Wellington||1897||Over 21,000||Nearly 17,000||1,886||159||9,501||9.1|
Faculties and colleges
The top-level divisions (faculties, colleges) of each university can vary widely from university to university. While all universities have faculties of science, for instance, fewer have faculties of education. The table below summarises the faculties and colleges of every university in New Zealand: 
|University of Otago||University of Canterbury||Lincoln University||Victoria University (Wellington)||Massey University||University of Waikato||AUT||University of Auckland|
|Arts||Division of Humanities||College of Arts||Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences||College of Humanities and Social Sciences||Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Faculty of Māori and Indigenous Studies
|Faculty of Culture and Society
Faculty of Māori and Indigenous Development
|Faculty of Arts|
|Sciences||Division of Sciences||College of Science||Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Faculty of Environment, Society, and Design
|Faculty of Science||College of Sciences||Faculty of Computing and Mathematical Sciences
Faculty of Science and Engineering
|Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences||Faculty of Science|
|Business||Otago Business School
(Division of Commerce)
|College of Business and Law||Faculty of Agribusiness and Commerce||Victoria Business School||Massey Business School||Waikato Management School||Faculty of Business, Economics and Law||University of Auckland Business School|
|Health Sciences||Division of Health Sciences||College of Education, Health, and Human Development||Faculty of Health||College of Health||Faculty of Health, Sport and Human Performance||Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences||Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences|
|Medicine||Otago Medical School, Faculty of Dentistry||School of Medicine|
|Engineering||College of Engineering||Faculty of Engineering||College of Sciences||Faculty of Science and Engineering||Faculty of Design and Creative Technologies||Faculty of Engineering|
|Law||College of Business and Law||Faculty of Law||Faculty of Law||Faculty of Business, Economics and Law||Faculty of Law|
|Fine Arts, Architecture||School of Landscape Architecture||Faculty of Architecture and Design||College of Creative Arts||Faculty of Design and Creative Technologies||Faculty of Creative Arts and Industries|
|Education||College of Education, Health, and Human Development||Faculty of Education||Faculty of Education||Faculty of Education and Social Work|
|University of Auckland||67||52||46||50||65||61||68||82||83||94||92||82||81||82|
|University of Otago||114||186||79||114||124||125||135||130||133||155||159||173||169||151|
|University of Canterbury||—||—||333||188||186||188||189||212||221||238||242||211||214||214|
|Victoria University of Wellington||—||—||222||234||227||229||225||237||237||265||275||229||228||219|
|University of Waikato||—||—||340||319||378||314||316||357||374||401–410||401–410||338||324||319|
|Auckland University of Technology||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||451–500||471–480||501–550||481-490||441-450||441-450|
|University of Auckland||145||173||161||164||175||172||165||192|
|University of Otago||—||201–225||226–250||226–250||251-275||201-250||201-250||201-250|
|Victoria University of Wellington||—||251–275||251–275||276–300||276-300||351-400||351-400||401-500|
|University of Canterbury||—||301–350||301–350||301–350||301-350||401-500||351-400||351-400|
|University of Waikato||—||301–350||301–350||301–350||351-400||401-500||401-500||351-400|
|Auckland University of Technology||—||—||—||—||—||601-800||501-600||401-500|
|University of Auckland||201–300||202–301||203–300||201–300||203–304||201–302||201–302||201–300||201–300||151–200||201–300||201–300||201-300||151-200||201-300|
|University of Otago||301–400||202–301||301–400||201–300||305–402||201–302||201–302||201–300||201–300||201–300||201–300||201–300||201-300||301-400||301-400|
|Victoria University of Wellington||—||—||401–500||401–500||403–510||402–503||402–501||401–500||401–500||401–500||401–500||401–500||—||301-400||301-400|
|University of Canterbury||—||—||401–500||401–500||403–510||402–503||402–501||401–500||401–500||401–500||401–500||401–500||—||301-400||401-500|
- "The NZ University System". Universities New Zealand. Archived from the original on 20 March 2015. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "The Tertiary Education Performance Report 2013". The Tertiary Education Commission. Archived from the original on 17 January 2015. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "AUT | Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai Tara". www.universitiesnz.ac.nz. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Lincoln University | Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai Tara". www.universitiesnz.ac.nz. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Massey University | Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai Tara". www.universitiesnz.ac.nz. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "University of Auckland | Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai Tara". www.universitiesnz.ac.nz. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "University of Canterbury | Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai Tara". www.universitiesnz.ac.nz. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "University of Otago | Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai Tara". www.universitiesnz.ac.nz. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "University of Waikato | Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai Tara". www.universitiesnz.ac.nz. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Victoria University of Wellington | Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai Tara". www.universitiesnz.ac.nz. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Departments and schools of the University of Otago". University of Otago. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Colleges". The University of Canterbury. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Faculties and Divisions". Lincoln University New Zealand. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Faculties and schools". Victoria University of Wellington. 23 May 2018. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Colleges - Massey University". Massey University. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Faculties: University of Waikato". www.waikato.ac.nz. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Faculties & Schools - AUT". Auckland University of Technology University. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Our faculties - The University of Auckland". The University of Auckland. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- Ariel Zirulnick (16 September 2010). "New world university ranking puts Harvard back on top". The Christian Science Monitor.
- "We're fighting above our weight when it comes to uni rankings". The Australian. 18 July 2012.
- Indira Samarasekera and Carl Amrhein (3 October 2010). "Top schools don't always get top marks". The Edmonton Journal. Archived from the original on 3 October 2010.
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. Archived from the original on 15 March 2015.
- "THE World University Rankings". Times Higher Education.
- "ARWU". Shanghai Ranking Consultancy. Archived from the original on 19 January 2015. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- No Major Drama - for lists of all majors for bachelor's degrees available from New Zealand universities, grouped in subject areas