Times Higher Education
No. 2,048 ( 3–9 May 2012)
|First issue||October 1971 (as Times Higher Education Supplement)|
|Company||Inflexion Pvt. Equity Partners LLP|
Times Higher Education (THE), formerly The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES), is a weekly magazine based in London, reporting specifically on news and issues related to higher education. It is the United Kingdom's leading publication in its field.
TPG Capital acquired TSL Education from Charterhouse in a £400 million deal in July 2013 and rebranded TSL Education, of which Times Higher Education was a part, as TES Global. The acquisition by TPG marked the third change of ownership in less than a decade for Times Higher Education, which was previously owned by News International before being acquired by Exponent Private Equity in 2005.
In March 2019, private equity group Inflexion Pvt. Equity Partners LLP acquired Times Higher Education from TPG Capital, becoming THE's fourth owners in 15 years. Following the acquisition by the private equity group, Times Higher Education was carved out as an independent entity from TES Global. The investment was made by Inflexion's dedicated mid-market buyout funds.
The exclusive advisor for the acquisition by Inflexion was Houlihan Lokey, an investment company which has previously assisted several private equity groups acquire for-profit educational organisations. Post-acquisition, Houlihan Lokey noted that the existing Times Higher Education team will work to meet the demand for data and branding products, and look at cross-selling to existing clients.
From its first issue, in 1971, until 2008, The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) was published in newspaper format and was born out of, and affiliated with, The Times newspaper. On 10 January 2008, it was relaunched as a magazine. It is published by TES Global, which until October 2005 was a division of Rupert Murdoch's News International. The magazine is edited by John Gill. Phil Baty is the editor-at-large, and is responsible for international coverage. He is also the editor of the magazine's World University Rankings.
In August 2020, Times Higher Education announced partnerships with recruitment agency SI-UK and accommodation provider Casita, signalling its entry into the overseas student recruitment and student housing markets.
On 11 September 2020, Netherlands-based Studyportals announced that it had inked an agreement with Times Higher Education, which will see the Times Higher Education website’s student visitors directed to the Studyportals student recruitment platform whenever students look into courses run by universities that THE ranks in its World University Rankings.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
Times Higher Education became known for publishing the annual Times Higher Education–QS World University Rankings, which first appeared in November 2004. On 30 October 2009 Times Higher Education broke with Quacquarelli Symonds, then its partner in compiling the Rankings, and signed an agreement with Thomson Reuters to provide the data instead. The magazine developed a new methodology in consultation with its readers and its editorial board and the results were published annually from autumn 2010 to 2013, when THE signed a new deal with Elsevier.
The magazine runs two sets of awards annually.
The first is the "Times Higher Education Awards".
The "Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards" (Thelmas) were launched in 2009. The Thelmas were set up to recognize the impact that administrative staff have on the success of higher education institutions.
- Ariel Zirulnick (16 September 2010). "New world university ranking puts Harvard back on top". The Christian Science Monitor.
- Davies, Anjuli. "TPG to buy TSL Education for 400 million pounds". Reuters. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- Tezuka, Maera. "Inflexion purchases university data provider Times Higher Education". S&P Global Market Intelligence. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- Farrell, Stephen. "Inflexion acquires higher education specialist". Insider Media. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Houlihan Lokey Advises Inflexion Private Equity Partners". Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "The inside story of Poppleton University". News – Press Releases. University of Leicester, UK. 31 October 2007. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "PPA Awards 2011". Archived from the original on 7 April 2013.
- Elsevier. "Discover the data behind the Times Higher Education World University Rankings". Elsevier Connect. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- "RELX said to be planning £100mln takeover of Times Higher Education". Proactiveinvestors UK. 27 November 2018. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- Stacey, Viggo. "THE moves into international student services". The PIE News. Retrieved 19 August 2020.
- "Studyportals announces tie-up with THE". The PIE News. Retrieved 11 September 2020.
- Baty, Phil. "New data partner for World University Rankings". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 11 July 2012.