Historic Environment Scotland
|Executive Agency overview|
|Preceding Executive Agency|
|Headquarters||Longmore House, Edinburgh|
|Executive Agency executive|
Historic Environment Scotland (HES) (Scottish Gaelic: Àrainneachd Eachdraidheil Alba) is an executive non-departmental public body responsible for investigating, caring for and promoting Scotland's historic environment. HES was formed in 2015 from the merger of government agency Historic Scotland with the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Among other duties, Historic Environment Scotland maintains more than 300 properties of national importance including Edinburgh Castle, Skara Brae and Fort George.
The responsibilities of HES were formerly split between Historic Scotland, a government agency responsible for properties of national importance, and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), which collected and managed records about Scotland's historic environment. Under the terms of a Bill of the Scottish Parliament published on 3 March 2014, the pair were dissolved and their functions transferred to Historic Environment Scotland, on 1 October 2015.
Historic Environment Scotland is a non-departmental public body with charitable status, governed by a board of trustees appointed by the Scottish Ministers. The body is charged with implementing "Our Place in Time", Scotland's historic environment strategy, and has responsibility for buildings and monuments in state care, as well as national collections of manuscripts, drawings and photographs. Beyond these collections, Historic Environment Scotland provide funding and guidance for conservation works and education across Scotland.
Canmore is an online database maintained by Historic Environment Scotland since 2015. Previously it was maintained by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
- List of Historic Environment Scotland properties
- Listed buildings in Scotland
- Scheduled monument
- Scottish Ten
- Scottish Natural Heritage
- National Trust for Scotland
- Who Built Scotland: A History of the Nation in Twenty-Five Buildings
- Organisations which play a similar role to HES in the other countries of the United Kingdom:
- "A new lead public body for the historic environment" (PDF). Historic Environment Scotland.
- "Historic Environment Scotland Bill". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- McKenzie, Steven (30 September 2015). "Monuments body RCAHMS produces final report ahead of merger". BBC News. Archived from the original on 15 September 2016.
- "About Historic Environment Scotland". Historic Environment Scotland.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Historic Environment Scotland.|