|Founder||Jose Juan Garcia|
Number of locations
|152 facilities worldwide|
In 1968, Jose Juan Garcia founded "Hogar Crea". The word "Crea" means for the re-education of the addict and the community. Those who enter the program do not have to pay a fee, but must agree to the program's strict rules. Breaking a drug habit is not easy and those who enter the program must adopt new habits which are conducive to recovery.
Participants were required to attend church services on Sundays until a court ruling changed that. Participants are known for selling desserts such as caramel custards. They also wash cars and do community service. The program is funded by both the United States federal government and the Puerto Rican government.
Hogares Crea has over 152 facilities worldwide. Besides Puerto Rico facilities are also established in Florida, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Panama, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua.
- "Terapia espiritual ya no es obligatoria en Hogar Crea". Metro (in Spanish).
- "Hogar Crea Inc". ProPublica.
- "Los números no dan para rehabilitarlos". Primera Hora (in Spanish). October 20, 2019.
- "Rehab program helps Hispanic folks with addiction". www.mynews13.com.
- "Hogares Crea pierde sede en Cartago por deuda". La Nación (in Spanish).