Saint Michael Church
|• Mayor||Rüdiger Schneidewind (SPD)|
|• Total||82.65 km2 (31.91 sq mi)|
|Elevation||233 m (764 ft)|
|• Density||510/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Postal codes||66424 (66401–66424)|
|Dialling codes||06841, 06848 (Einöd and Wörschweiler)|
Homburg (German pronunciation: [ˈhɔmbʊʁk]) is a town in Saarland, Germany, the administrative seat of the Saar-Palatinate district. With a population of c. 41,974 inhabitants (December 31st 2015), is the third city in its federal state. The medical department of the University of Saarland is situated here. The city is also home to the Karlsberg beer brewery. Major employers include Michelin and Robert Bosch GmbH.
Homburg is situated in north of the district of Saar-Palatinate, close to the borders of Saarland with Rhineland-Palatinate and not too far from France. It is 16 km from Neunkirchen and 36 km from Saarbrücken. The villages Beeden, Schwarzenbach, Wörschweiler, Einöd and Ingweiler are situated in or on the Blies valley.
The town counts 9 villages: Beeden, Bruchhof-Sanddorf, Einöd, Erbach, Jägersburg, Kirrberg, Reiskirchen, Schwarzenbach and Wörschweiler.
The village Einöd counts Einöd, Ingweiler and Schwarzenacker. The village Jägersburg counts Jägersburg, Altbreitenfelderhof and Websweiler. Erbach counts also Lappentascherhof and Johannishof.
Populations (February 1st 2017):
Since the administration reform 1974 has Homburg a Lord Mayor, before a Mayor.
Since October 1st 2014 is Rüdiger Schneidewind (SPD) Lord Mayor of Homburg.
- Homburg is home to the Schlossberg Höhlen (Schlossberg Caves).
- Homburg is the home of Gutenbrunnen (Schloss Louisenthal).
- Homburg is the home of the Schloss Karlsberg (Karlsberg Castle)
- Homburg is the home of the Wörschweiler Abbey
Homburg (Saar) Hauptbahnhof is the main railway station in the town, served by long-distance and regional trains. By road transport, the town is served by the motorways A6 (exit Homburg) and A8 (exits Limbach and Einöd).
- David Bardens (born 1984, physician)
- Timo Bernhard (born 1981, sports car racer)
- Stefan Eck (born 1956), politician (former Tierschutzpartei, currently independent)
- Horst Ehrmantraut (born 1955, former football player)
- Markus Heitz (born 1971, fantasy author)
- Michael Jakosits (born 1970, olympic sports shooter)
- Laura Steinbach (born 1985, handball player)
- Andreas Walzer (born 1970, former cyclist)
Homburg is twinned with:
- "Fläche und Bevölkerung - Stand: 31.12.2015 (Basis Zensus 2011)" (PDF). Statistisches Amt des Saarlandes (in German). July 2016.
- Daten und Fakten, Einwohner nach Stadtteilen auf www.homburg.de (in German)
- Daten und Fakten, Bevölkerungsentwicklung auf www.homburg.de (in German)
- Verzeichnis der Bürgermeister und Oberbürgermeister von Homburg ab 1798 auf dem Webangebot der Stadt Homburg (in German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Homburg, Saarland.|