This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016)
|Chairperson||Aída Spiegeler Castañeda, Marcel Krohn, Robert Gabel|
|Founded||13 February 1993|
|Headquarters||Schreiersgrüner Str. 5 |
|European affiliation||Animal Politics EU|
|European Parliament group||The Left in the European Parliament – GUE/NGL|
0 / 630
0 / 1,855
0 / 96
The Human Environment Animal Protection Party (German: Partei Mensch Umwelt Tierschutz, short form: Animal Protection Party, German: Tierschutzpartei) is a political party in Germany, founded in 1993. In 2014 one candidate was elected to the European Parliament, and one candidate was elected again in 2019. As of February 2020, the party has no members in the European Parliament, no members in any of the German state parliaments, and no members of the Bundestag.
The party aspires to turn away from the anthropocentric view of life. Its main goal is the introduction of more animal rights into the German constitution. Those include the right to live and the protection from physical and psychological damages. The Tierschutzpartei also demands prohibition of animal testing, bullfighting, hunting, the production of furs, circus animals and agricultural animal husbandry, as well as the adaptation of the people to veganism. The party supports a ban on genetic engineering and wants a reduction of car traffic and an immediate exit from nuclear energy. Economically it supports more social justice, a stamp duty and a free basic income.
In the 2014 European parliament elections, the Animal Protection Party received 1.25% of the national vote (366,303 votes in total) and returned one MEP, Stefan Eck, who sits with the EUL-NGL. In December 2014 Eck left the party and became an independent MEP in the EUL-NGL-group.
In the 2019 European parliament elections, the Animal Protection Party received 1.45% of the national vote (541,984 votes in total) and returned one MEP, Martin Buschmann. Buschmann resigned from the party in February 2020 after it was revealed that from 1992 to 1996 he was a member of and a chairman in the far-right National Democratic Party of Germany (NPD).
In the 2021 federal election the Animal Protection Party received 1,5 % of the national vote (675,353 votes in total), which is the best result in a national election since the party has been founded.
- Terkildsen, Thor. "Tierschutzpartei party mandate's". tierschutzpartei. tierschutzpartei. Retrieved 29 March 2022.
- "Bedingungsloses Grundeinkommen". Partei Mensch Umwelt Tierschutz (in German). Retrieved 2021-09-25.
- Bundesergebnis Archived 2015-07-05 at the Wayback Machine
- "Nach der Wahl: Ergebnis Tierschutzpartei Europawahl 2019". Partei Mensch Umwelt Tierschutz (in German). 2019-05-27. Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- "NPD-Vergangenheit: EU-Abgeordneter Martin Buschmann verlässt Linksfraktion". spiegel.de (in German). 28 January 2020.
- "Unsere Mandate". 27 March 2023.
- "Mitglieder". Bezirk Oberbayern (in German). Retrieved 2023-02-15.