Home Décor Products
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2020)
|Industry||Online retailers, Home improvement retailers|
|Defunct||March 26, 2009|
|Headquarters||Edison, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Jon Bernstein, CEO|
|Products||Faucets, sinks, home décor, power tools, barbecue grills, swimming pool supplies|
Number of employees
Home Décor Products, Inc. was a large online retailer of home improvement and furnishings, headquartered in Edison, New Jersey. It claimed to stock more than 450,000 home products from more than 800 luxury brands including TOTO, Lenox, Kohler, and Jacuzzi.
Home Décor Products owned and managed the following virtual commerce sites:
- HomeClick.com – home improvement products
- AbsoluteHome.com – home improvement merchandise
- Hechinger.com – power tools and DIY products
- BuildersSquare.com – comparison shopping site for DIY products
- Barbecues.com – barbecue grills and outdoor living merchandise
- ChefsCorner.com – kitchen tools, small kitchen appliances and tableware
- KnobsandThings.com – cabinet hardware, door handles and switchplates
- PoolClick.com – pool supplies and accessories
- ChristmasCatalog.com – holiday decorations, trees and ornaments
- SheetSetsAdvisor.com - blog about the company's various products
Home Décor Products was founded in November 2000 with the acquisition of Bathopia, a bath and kitchen e-tailer. Bathopia was relaunched as HomeClick.com, primarily an online retailer of bath and kitchen products, with the purpose of allowing the average consumer to purchase items directly online that were typically only available in various showrooms scattered about the country. HomeClick grew quickly in its first few years of existence and expanded its product offering to include appliances, lighting, housewares, and tableware by 2002.
In subsequent years, Home Décor Products launched several other websites for different types of products. Specialty sites such as Barbecues.com, KnobsandThings.com and Poolclick.com followed the launch of AbsoluteHome.com in 2004. In October 2005, Home Décor Products bought the brand name of big-box retailer Hechinger, a brand known for do-it-yourself (DIY) products. HDPI also acquired the assets of DIY brand Builders Square, relaunching it as a comparison shopping engine for home and garden products.
In 2006, Home Décor Products was recognized as #5 on the Internet Retailer Top 500 List in the Housewares/Home Furnishings category. HDPI was also ranked on the Inc. 500 List of Fastest Growing Companies of 2006. The company claimed web sales of $83.8 million in 2007. It had excessive inventory costs and was forced to declare Chapter 7 Bankruptcy on March 26, 2009, and has ceased operations.
- September: HomeClick.com Launches, primarily as a retailer of bath and kitchen products online
- October: Home Décor Products, Inc. is formed as parent company of HomeClick.com
- February: Seymour Holtzman and Holtzman Opportunity Funds invest $5MM in the Company
- August AbsoluteHome.com launches
- September: Barbecues.com Launches
- February: KnobsandThings.com Launches
- Home Décor Products moves to a new 270,000-square-foot (25,000 m2) office/warehouse space in Edison, NJ
- Holtzman Opportunity Funds and Kinderhook Partners invests an add’l $7.1MM in the Company
- October: Hechinger.com Launches
- February: PoolClick.com Launches
- ChefsCorner.com Launches
- Michael Golden Named Best Executive at American Business Awards
- July: Cliquidate.com Launches
- August: Home Décor Products named to Inc. 500
- November: Home Décor Products Purchases NationBlinds.com
- December: Home Décor Products Secures $65 Million in Private Funding from 3i, Liberty Associated Group and Comcast Interactive
- August: Jonathan Bernstein, former president of Smith+Noble, named as CEO
- March: Chapter 7 bankruptcy
- "About Us". HDPI.com. Archived from the original on 2005-06-19. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- "Home Decor Products Acquires Bathopia, a leading e-tailer of Bath & Kitchen Fixtures" (Press release). Business Wire. November 30, 2000. Archived from the original on August 10, 2011.
- "Home Decor Products Revives 100-Old Retail Brand Hechinger Online" (Press release). BuildingOnline.com. November 6, 2005. Archived from the original on August 10, 2011.
- "Home Décor Products Opens its Virtual Doors to Advertising Partnerships" (Press release). PRNewswire. June 5, 2007. Archived from the original on April 9, 2009.
- "Inc. 500 Ranking No. 218 – Home Décor Products". Inc. Retrieved 2007-08-08.[permanent dead link]
- Internetretailer.com Archived 2009-03-30 at the Wayback Machine
- Perry, Jessica (2006-11-15). "Home Decor Scoops Up NationBlinds.com". NJBIZ. Retrieved 2020-07-14.