Hugh Clegg (doctor)
|Born||Hugh Anthony Clegg
19 June 1900
|Died||6 July 1983
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
|Known for||Editor of the British Medical Journal, 1947–1965|
|Children||Nicholas P. Clegg|
|Parent(s)||John Clegg and Gertrude Wilson Short|
|Relatives||Nick Clegg (grandson)|
|Awards||Gold Medal of the British Medical Association (1966)|
Hugh Anthony Clegg CBE FRCP (19 June 1900 – 6 July 1983) was a British medical doctor. He was editor of the British Medical Journal from 1947 to 1965. He was awarded the Gold Medal of the British Medical Association in 1966 and was awarded the CBE in the same year.
Born in St Ives, then in Huntingdonshire, Clegg was the son of the Rev. John Clegg, by his marriage to Gertrude Wilson. His father, a clergyman and schoolmaster who became the head of Lowestoft College in East Anglia, taught him classical languages, and Clegg gained scholarships at Westminster School and Trinity College, Cambridge. He had two older brothers, Arnold (born 1896) and John (born 1898). In 1900, the family moved to Lowestoft, where his younger sisters, Mary, Margaret, and Veronica, and his brother Bernard were all born.
In 1931 Clegg joined the staff of the BMJ, and the next year he married Kira von Engelhardt, Baroness von Smolensk, daughter of a Russian émigré, Arthur Engelhardt, Baron von Smolensk. Their son was Nicholas P. Clegg, the father of Nick Clegg, who from 2010 to 2015 was Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- CLEGG, Hugh Anthony’, Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007 accessed 21 Sept 2012
- "Hugh Anthony Clegg". Can Med Assoc J. 93: 1275. 1965. PMC . PMID 20328435.
- Hugh Anthony Clegg, obituary at rcplondon.ac.uk, accessed 13 July 2016
- Nick Clegg's Lowestoft connection dated 18 June 2010 at lowestoftjournal.co.uk, accessed 13 July 2016
- Born Marie Engelhardt - see baptism register of Nice, page 5 (online here: http://www.basesdocumentaires-cg06.fr/archives/ImageZoomViewerEC.php?IDDOC=2011011816335440340374&COMMUNE=NICE&PAROISSE=&TYPEACTE=Naissances&DATE=1909%20%E0%20%20/%202)
- Lock (n.d.).
- Family History. "Family detective: Nick Clegg". Telegraph. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Lock, Stephen (n.d.). "Clegg, Hugh Anthony (1900–1983), journal editor", in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Online, Template:Subscritption, accessed 4 May 2014.