|Initial release||May, 2011 (Private Beta)
October, 2011 (Open Beta)
November, 2011 (Public Release)
|Stable release||1.3 / Oct 14, 2012|
|Operating system||Android (operating system) Version 2.2|
iOnRoad is a free augmented reality driving safety app. It received the International CES 2012 innovation award. The program uses the GPS feature, gyroscope and video camera stream of the native mobile device to monitor a vehicle’s position on the road, alerting drivers of lane departures and potential collisions with audio and visual cues. iOnRoad has been downloaded by over 500,000 people.
In 2012, iOnRoad won the most innovative product award in the transportation category at the International CTIA conference. The app was also awarded the Best Product Demo at the 2012 Microsoft ThinkNext. The mobile application is incorporated with Qualcomms FastCV SDK which offers support for ARM based devices. At its launch, iOnRoad was released for Android mobile devices. In 2012, the company announced that it had plans to release the application on the Apple iOS platform in the near future.
iOnRoad was developed by, an Israeli digital company. In May 2011, the app was released to closed private beta testing. In October 2011, the app demoed at the International CES trade show where it was selected for the CES innovation, design and engineering award. In 2011, developers announced the launch of iOnRoad for Android-based devices at the Israel Mobile Summit. Within the first two months of its release, iOnRoad was downloaded over 200,000 times. In October 14, 2012, the company released version 1.3 of the program.
The program’s primary purpose is to protect cars from being involved in an accident. The application measures the vehicle’s headway distance, alerting the driver to his speed, and proximity to the traffic ahead. While iOnRoad is in use, the phone is connected to the dashboard. Drivers are provided with a personal web dashboard that they can use in making phone calls, playing music or checking a map. The app also assigns points for safe driving tactics, allowing other iOnRoad drives to compete for the title of safest driver.
Awards and recognition
- CES 2012 Design and Engineering Showcase Award
- Winner of the 2012 CTIA Emerging technology awards
- Gartner Cool Automotive vendor for 2012
- Awarded Best Product Demo at the 2012 Microsoft ThinkNext
- Jamie Lendino. "iOnRoad Augmented Driving (for Android)". PC Mag. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Niall Magennis. "Top tech trends at CES 2012". CNET Uk. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "iOnRoad". Microsoft: Israel R&D Center. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "iOnRoad". Google Play. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Antuan Goodwin. "iOnRoad app keeps an eye on the road for accidents". CNet. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- John R. Quain (May 30, 2012). "Up-to-Date Tricks for Aging Wheels". The New York Times. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- David Shamah. "Israel's iOnRoad: Safer driving is just a download away". The Times of Israel. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Guy Grimland. "The winning startup of the Israel Mobile Summit and Marker". The Marker. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Roger Yu (May 16, 2012). "Distracted driving prevention app iOnRoad wins CTIA award". USA Today. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Rahul Arora. "iOnRoad selected as 'Best Product Demo' at Microsoft Think Next event". Info Tech. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "Qualcomm Congratulates for CES Award". Qualcomm. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Alan Buckingham. "iOnRoad Turns Your Old Car into a High-Tech Safety Machine". Geek News Central. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Alyssa Danigelis. "Smart phone app warns of driving danger". Discovery News. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Katie Gatto. "iOnRoad: An augmented reality app that makes driving safer". Phy Org. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Marianme Schultz. "CES 2012: iOnRoad Augmented Reality Driving Assistant Coming to iPhone". App Shopper. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Harman buys Israeli road safety app developer iOnRoad, Roy Goldenberg, 11 April 2013, Globes
- Nick Monacelli. "Consumer electronic show in Las Vegas". News10. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Amy Gilroy. "iOnRoad Wins CTIA Wireless E-Tech Award". CEO Outlook. Retrieved November 7, 2012.