The IPR-Helpdesk[notes 1] is a project funded by the European Commission (EC) and a source and guide to patent information. The project was launched in 1998 (at the same time as Espacenet) to be a central reference point for intellectual property inquiries and advice throughout the European Union. The IPR-Helpdesk is a project implemented by "a European network consisting of several research institutes, law firms and consultancies." It notably offers a free-of-charge enquiry service, or "Helpline service", for addressing intellectual property issues, that is "targeted at researchers and European small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) participating in EU-funded collaborative research projects."
According to a 2005 OECD report, the IPR-Helpdesk "offers an example of what governments can do to help compensate for a lack of technology transfer competence among [public research organisations (PROs)]" and "has, since 1998, played a key role in building a culture of innovation in EU countries". The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe later reported, in 2011, that the IPR Helpdesk "not only benefits EU RTD participants, but also the wider research and SME communities".
The University of Alicante (Spain) was responsible for the FP5, FP7 and CIP IPR-Helpdesk editions from January 2001 to February 2011. From March 2011, a consortium formed by infeurope S.A. (a Luxembourg-based company), the Intellectual Property Institute of Luxembourg (a Luxembourg-based IP institute) and Eurice GmbH (a company based in Saarbrücken, Germany) is in charge of the project as a result of a European Commission’s tender.
- Also spelled "IPR Helpdesk" and also known as "European IPR Helpdesk" and "Intellectual Property Rights Helpdesk". See for example Webber, Sheila (April – May 2000). "European Developments in Intellectual Property". Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science. American Society for Information Science. 26 (4). Retrieved 5 September 2014.
The European Commission has set up an Intellectual Property Rights Helpdesk on the Internet.
- Paul Pechan, Gert E. de Vries, Genes on the Menu: Facts for Knowledge-based Decisions, Springer, 2005, ISBN 3-540-20178-5, page 82.
- "Edith Cresson inaugurates IPR Helpdesk - new EU service to boost innovation". European Commission. 27 October 1998. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Kroger, Hans Christian; ,Tigrid, P.; Brooks, C.; Church, C. (01.12.2000). Annuaire Europeen 1998 / European Yearbook 1998 (in French). 47. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers. p. 122. ISBN 9041115382. Check date values in:
- Shahid Alikhan, R. A. Mashelkar, Intellectual Property and Competitive Strategies in the 21st Century, Kluwer Law International, 2004, ISBN 90-411-2119-6, page 204.
- "¿Qué es el IPR-HELPDESK?" [What is IPR-HELPDESK?] (in Spanish). Instituto Valenciano de Competitividad Empresarial (IVACE). Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Hoeren, Thomas. "Research Projects". Universität Münster. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "New consortium behind IPR Helpdesk" (PDF). European RTD Insight, British Council online bulletin. UK Research Office, British Council. April 2011. pp. 6–7. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "services". European IPR Helpdesk. European Commission. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Zhang, Gang (9 February 2005). "PROMOTING IPR POLICY AND ENFORCEMENT IN CHINA STI WORKING PAPER 2005/1 Summary of OECD-China Dialogues on Intellectual Property Rights Policy and Enforcement (JT00178246)" (PDF). Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. pp. 34, 36. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Intellectual Property Commercialization: Policy Options and Practical Instruments" (PDF). New York and Geneva: United Nations, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. 2011. p. 48. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- First attempt call for tenders (aborted)
- Second call for tenders
- "Das IPR-Helpdesk zeigt, wie man Wissen und Ergebnisse schützt" [The IPR-Helpdesk shows how to protect knowledge and results]. innovations-reports (in German). 29 October 2003. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
|This article about the European Union is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This business-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|