The Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM) Community is an international community of researchers, practitioners and policy makers involved in or concerned about the design, development, deployment, use and evaluation of information systems for crisis response and management. The ISCRAM Community has been co-founded by Bartel Van de Walle (Tilburg University, the Netherlands), Benny Carlé (SCK-CEN Nuclear Research Center, Belgium), and Murray Turoff (New Jersey Institute of Technology).
ISCRAM conferences have been held annually since 2004. Since 2005, the conference has alternated between Europe and the United States / Canada.
|Location (year)||Programme and/or conference chairs|
|Brussels, Belgium (2004, 2005)||Bartel Van de Walle and Benny Carlé|
|Newark, New Jersey (2006)||Bartel Van de Walle and Murray Turoff|
|Delft, the Netherlands (2007)||Bartel Van de Walle, Paul Burghardt, and Kees Nieuwenhuis|
|Washington, DC (2008)||Bartel Van de Walle, Frank Fiedrich, Jack Harrald, and Theresa Jefferson|
|Gothenburg, Sweden (2009)||Jonas Landgren, Bartel Van de Walle, and Susanne Jul|
|Seattle, Washington (2010)||Mark Haselkorn, Simon French, and Brian Tomaszewski|
|Lisbon, Portugal (2011)||Maria A. Santos, Julie Dugdale, and David Mendonça|
|Vancouver, Canada (2012)||Brian Fisher, Richard Arias-Hernandez, Leon Rothkrantz, Jozef Ristvej, and Zeno Franco|
|Baden-Baden, Germany (2013)||Jürgen Beyerer, Thomas Usländer, and Tina Comes|
|University Park, Pennsylvania (2014)||Andrea Tapia, Starr Roxanne Hiltz, Mark S. Pfaff, Linda Plotnick, and Patrick C. Shih|
|Kristiansand, Norway (2015)||Leysia Palen, Monika Büscher, Tina Comes, and Amanda Hughes|
|Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2016)||Andrea Tapia, Pedro Antunes, Victor A. Bañuls, Kathleen Moore, and João Porto de Albuquerque|
|Albi, France (2017)||Tina Comes, Frédérick Bénaben, Chihab Hanachi, Matthieu Lauras, and Aurélie Montarnal|
|Rochester, New York (2018)||Kees Boersma and Brian M. Tomaszewski|
|Valencia, Spain (2019)||Zeno Franco, José J. González, and José H. Canós|
At the conference, the Mike Meleshkin best PhD student paper is awarded to the best paper written and presented by a PhD student. Past awardees are Jonas Landgren (Viktoria Institute, Sweden), Jiri Trnka (Linkoping University, Sweden), Manuel Llavador (Polytechnic University of Valencia, Spain), Valentin Bertsch (Karlsruhe University, Germany), Thomas Foulquier (Université de Sherbrooke, Canada), and the PhD students in crisis informatics at the University of Colorado at Boulder (USA).
ISCRAM-CHINA and Summer School
Since 2005, an annual conference is also held in China, at Harbin Engineering University, with Dr. Song Yan as conference chair. The 2008 meeting is held jointly with the GI4D meeting on August 4–6, 2008.
The Summer School for PhD students took place in the Netherlands at Tilburg University in June 2006 and 2007.
The International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (IJISCRAM) is a journal which started in January 2009. Co-Editors-in-Chief are Murray Jennex (San Diego State University) and Bartel Van de Walle (Tilburg University, the Netherlands).
The mission of the International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (IJISCRAM) is to provide an outlet for innovative research in the area of information systems for crisis response and management. Research is expected to be rigorous but can utilize any accepted methodology and may be qualitative or quantitative in nature. The journal will provide a comprehensive cross disciplinary forum for advancing the understanding of the organizational, technical, human, and cognitive issues associated with the use of information systems in responding and managing crises of all kinds. The goal of the journal is to publish high quality empirical and theoretical research covering all aspects of information systems for crisis response and management. Full-length research manuscripts, insightful research and practice notes, and case studies will be considered for publication.
- ISCRAM2004 and ISCRAM2005 Proceedings (Eds. B. Van de Walle and B. Carlé), Brussels, Belgium, ISBN 90-76971-08-0 and ISBN 90-76971-09-9
- ISCRAM2006 Proceedings (Eds. B. Van de Walle and M. Turoff), Newark, NJ, ISBN 90-902060-1-9
- ISCRAM2007 Proceedings (Eds. B. Van de Walle, P. Burghardt and C. Nieuwenhuis), Delft the Netherlands, ISBN 978-90-5487-417-1
- ISCRAM2008 Proceedings (Eds. F. Fiedrich and B. Van de Walle), Washington DC, ISBN 978-0-615-20697-4
- ISCRAM2009 Proceedings (Eds. J. Landgren and S. Jul), Gothenburg, Sweden, ISBN 978-91-633-4715-3
- ISCRAM2010 Proceedings (Eds. S. French, B. Tomaszewski, and C. Zobel), Seattle, Washington
- ISCRAM2011 Proceedings (Eds. M. Santos, L. Sousa, and E. Portela), Lisbon, Portugal, ISBN 978-972-49-2247-8
- ISCRAM2012 Proceedings (Eds. L. Rothkrantz, J. Ristvej, and Z. Franco), Vancouver, Canada, ISBN 978-0-86491-332-6
- ISCRAM2013 Proceedings (Eds. T. Comes, F. Fiedrich, S. Fortier, J. Geldermann and T. Müller), Baden Baden, Germany, ISBN 978-3-923704-80-4
- ISCRAM2014 Proceedings (Eds. Starr Roxanne Hiltz, Mark S. Pfaff, Linda Plotnick, Patrick C. Shih), University Park, Pennsylvania, ISBN 978-0-692-21194-6
- ISCRAM2015 Proceedings (Eds. Leysia Palen, Monika Büscher, Tina Comes, and Amanda Hughes), Kristiansand, Norway, ISSN 2411-3387
- ISCRAM2016 Proceedings (Eds. Andrea H. Tapia, Pedro Antunes, Victor A. Bañuls, Kathleen Moore, João Porto de Albuquerque), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, ISBN 978-84-608-7984-8
- ISCRAM2017 Proceedings (Eds. Tina Comes, Frédérick Bénaben, Chihab Hanachi, Matthieu Lauras, and Aurélie Montarnal) Albi, France
- ISCRAM2018 Proceedings (Eds. Kees Boersma and Brian Tomaszewski), Rochester, New York, ISBN 978-0-692-12760-5
- ISCRAM2019 Proceedings (Eds. Zeno Franco José J. González, and José H. Canós), Valencia, Spain, ISBN 978-84-09-10498-7
- ISCRAM-CHINA 2007 Proceedings (Eds. B. Van de Walle, X. Li and S.Zhang), Harbin, China, ISBN 978-7-81073-927-6
- Van de Walle, Bartel; Murray Turoff (2006). "ISCRAM: growing a global R&D Community on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management". International Journal of Emergency Management. 3 (4): 364–369. doi:10.1504/IJEM.2006.011302.
- Van de Walle, Bartel; Murray Turoff (2007). "Emergency Response Information Systems: emerging Trends and Technologies". Communications of the ACM. 50 (3): 28–32. doi:10.1145/1226736.1226760.
- Peace IT! issue 2008/1, published by CMI Finland, had a report on ISCRAM2008[permanent dead link]