I Am Empire
|I Am Empire|
|Origin||San Jose, California, United States|
|Genres||Alternative rock, post-hardcore, emo, pop punk|
|Labels||Tooth & Nail|
I Am Empire is an American rock band from San Jose, California. Formed in 2008, the band consists of Austin Lyons (lead vocals), Andrew Stanton (guitar), Joshua Case (bass and vocals), and Eric Martin (drums). The band's first label release, Kings, was released by Tooth & Nail Records on January 25, 2011 and has since made Billboard's Top Christian Albums and Top Heatseekers charts.
The band originally went by the name Vespera, but after unsuccessful touring, two member departures, and legal threats from another band with the same name, they took the name I Am Empire in August 2008. Following the name change, the band independently released a self-titled album, I Am Empire, in April 2009. While the album itself did not chart, its two singles, "You're A Fake" and "The Elevator", peaked at No. 15 and No. 11 on Billboard/R&R's Christian Rock chart. They toured through the remainder of 2009 and toured in 2010 including an appearance at SXSW. Features on AOL.com, KingsofA&R, and Myspace Music, garnered the attention of Tooth and Nail Records.
Signing and Kings (2010-2012)
The band was signed to Tooth & Nail Records in May 2010, on which they released their second album, Kings, on January 25, 2011. It went on to make Billboard's Top Christian Albums and Top Heatseekers charts, peaking at No. 35 and No. 40 respectively.
In support of Kings, I Am Empire has toured with Emery, Brian "Head" Welch, Project 86, The Letter Black, Icon for Hire and Children 18:3, as well as headlining the "Kings and Queens Tour" with support from Nine Lashes and Blood and Water. In December 2011, I Am Empire performed at Christmas Rock Night 2011 in Ennepetal, Germany.
On June 7, 2012, drummer Eric Martin officially announced via a blog post on Tooth & Nail's website that the band was recording their second album with producer Brian McTernan at his Salad Days Studio in Baltimore, Maryland. The new album, Anchors was released on March 26, 2013. Andrew Stanton, the lead guitarist, left I Am Empire to play with the band Disciple.
- Austin Lyons - lead vocals
- Joshua Case - bass guitar, backing vocals
- Eric Martin - drums
- Dan Otis - guitar
- Andrew Stanton - guitar
|US Christ.||US Heat.|
|2009||I Am Empire||Independent||—||—|
|2011||Kings||Tooth & Nail Records||35||40|
|2013||Anchors||Tooth & Nail Records||—||—|
|2009||"You're a Fake"||15[not in citation given]||I Am Empire|
|"The Elevator"||11[not in citation given]|
|2011||"Hammers & Anvils"||8|
|"Saints & Sinners"||1|
- Music Videos
|2009||"You're a Fake"||Peter Lindsey|
|"Hammers & Anvils"|
|"Saints & Sinners"||I Am Empire|
- Tom Aylott (Dec 2011). "I Am Empire release new music video" (news). Punktastic.com. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
Post-hardcore mob I AM EMPIRE have released a music video for their song 'Saints And Sinners'.
- Daniel Garcia (2010). "Pick of the Litter". HM Magazine. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
I Am Empire: Catchy emo/alternative/rock tracks.
- Scott Fryberger (Oct 2011). "The Kings and Queens Tour: 10/24/11, at Northern Hills Baptist Church in Topeka, KS" (concert review). Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
...the pop rock/pop punk sounds of Blood and Water and I Am Empire.
- Brian Morrissette (Aug 2011). "I Am Empire" (interview). Christcore.net. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- Jameson Ketchum. "I Am Empire" (interview). Hopecore.com. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- Nassiff, Thomas (2012-06-07). "I Am Empire In Studio with Brian McTernan". AbsolutePunk. Buzz Media. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "You're a Fake - I Am Empire". Billboard.com. 3 Oct 2009. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "The Elevator - I Am Empire". Billboard.com. 27 Feb 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Brain Damage - I Am Empire". Billboard.com. 26 Feb 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Hammers & Anvils - I Am Empire". Billboard.com. 13 Aug 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Saints & Sinners - I Am Empire". Billboard.com. 28 Jan 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2012.