|Died||July 11, 2016 (aged 38)|
Northern Syrian Town of Tarmanin, Idlib, Syria
|Cause of death||A Russian air raid|
|Employer||Al-Jazeera Mubasher live feed news channel operated by Qatar-based Al-Jazeera.|
Ibrahim Al-Omar died while covering a Russian airstrike in a northwestern city called Tarmmanin north of Idlib, Syria. The area was attacked by missiles fired from Russian aircraft. Al-Omar was covering the aftermath of the Russian airstrike when another one hit his location and killed him. As a result of the same Russian mission, two others were killed south of Idlib in Ihsem, while another five were killed elsewhere in the providence.
The Syrian Civil War is an armed conflict between Bashar Al-Assad and the opposition in Syria. At that moment, Russia was involved in the conflict in partnership with the Bashar Al-Assad regime. The Russian air attacks had been an ongoing operation.
Syrian citizens have been reporting what was happening on the ground during the war as the situation became dangerous. Ibrahim Al-Omar was one of the few who have actually been hired by a news channel. Another Syrian reporter working for Al Jazeera, Zakaria Ibrahim, was killed one year before him in Homs. At the time, six Al Jazeera journalists had been killed during the Syrian Civil War.
Reporters Without Borders reacted to his death in the following statement: "We deplore the unacceptable conditions in which media personnel continue to work in Syria and which often result in their deaths... Journalists are targeted, harassed and killed while just covering events. We firmly condemn the indiscriminate air strikes bombardments that kill many civilians every day and often include journalists among the victims."
- "Al-Jazeera reporter killed by Russian air strike in Syria". theoslotimes.com.
- "Russian Strike Kills Reporter in Syria: Al-Jazeera".
- "Reporter Among Dead In Latest Syria Air Strikes". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty.
- "Al Jazeera freelancer killed in Syria". www.dc4mf.org. Doha Centre for Media Freedom.
- "Jazeera reporter killed in Russian air strike". Qatar Tribune.
- "Al-Jazeera Reporter Killed in Idlib Province where Russian Warplanes Destroyed Convoy of Oil Trucks (Graphics)". South Front. 11 July 2016.
- "Ibrahim Omar - Journalists Killed". cpj.org. Committee to Protect Journalists.
- "Al-Jazeera reporter killed by Russian air strike in Syria". IFEX.
- "Russian airstrike kills Al Jazeera reporter in Syria". 12 July 2016.
- "Airstrike Kills Al-Jazeera Reporter in Syria".
- "Al-Jazeera reporter Ibrahim al-Omar was killed at Termanin Idlib where RuAF destroyed a convoy of oil/fuel trucks - Map of Syrian Civil war/ Global conflict in Syria - Syria news - syria.liveuamap.com". Map of Syrian Civil war/ Global conflict in Syria - Syria news - syria.liveuamap.com.
- Scarecrow (13 July 2016). "Al Jazeera reporter killed in air strike in Syria". Qatar Living.
- "Al-Jazeera reporter killed by Russian air strike". RSF.org. Reporters without Borders.
- "Director-General deplores death of journalist Ibrahim Omar in Syria - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization". www.unesco.org.