The Ickey Shuffle was a touchdown celebration done by former National Football League fullback Elbert "Ickey" Woods of the Cincinnati Bengals after he would score a touchdown. Woods would shuffle his feet to the right and hold the football out to the right, shuffle his feet to the left and hold the football out to the left, and finally finish by doing three hops to the right and spiking the football into the ground. The move led to the NFL creating a rule designating it (and similar moves by other players) as "Excessive Celebration" and subject to penalty against the player's team.
In popular culture
- NASCAR driver Darrell Waltrip famously performed the Ickey Shuffle in victory lane after winning the 1989 Daytona 500.
- The Ickey Shuffle is the subject of a bet between Barney and Robin in the 2005 How I Met Your Mother episode, "Return of the Shirt."
- In 2014, Woods performed the dance in a GEICO commercial.
- On October 12, 2014, Jeremy Hill of the Cincinnati Bengals did the celebration after scoring a touchdown against the Carolina Panthers.
- At the 2015 NFL Draft, Woods did the Ickey shuffle prior to announcing the 2nd round draft pick for the Bengals..
|This American football–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|