|Role||Light-sport aircraft and Homebuilt aircraft|
|First flight||25 November 2009|
|Status||Under development (2012)|
|Number built||Prototypes only|
The Idea Hydropteron (English: Water Wing) is a Hungarian light-sport aircraft and kit aircraft amphibious flying boat, under development by Idea Aircraft, of Miskolc. The Hydropteron was first flown on 25 November 2009 and introduced to the public at the Aero show held in Friedrichshafen in 2010. The aircraft is intended to be supplied as a kit for amateur construction or as a complete ready-to-fly-aircraft.
Design and development
The aircraft was designed to comply with the US light-sport aircraft rules in its two-seat version and amateur-built rules as a three seater. It features a cantilever high-wing, a two-seats-in-side-by-side configuration enclosed cockpit under a bubble canopy, with a third seat optional, a cruciform tail, retractable tricycle landing gear and a single engine in pusher configuration.
The aircraft is made from composites. Its 10.9 m (35.8 ft) span wing, has an area of 12.47 m2 (134.2 sq ft) and flaps. The standard engine is the 115 hp (86 kW) Rotax 914 four-stroke turbocharged powerplant, but engines of up to 140 hp (104 kW) may be fitted. No wingtip floats are fitted and the aircraft relies on fuselage-mounted sponsons for water stability.
Production was originally scheduled for 2011, but as of mid-2012 only prototypes appear to have been flown.
Specifications (Hydropteron LSA)
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Length: 6.9 m (22 ft 8 in)
- Wingspan: 10.9 m (35 ft 9 in)
- Height: 2.2 m (7 ft 3 in)
- Wing area: 12.47 m2 (134.2 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 360 kg (794 lb)
- Gross weight: 560 kg (1,235 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 50 litres (11 imp gal; 13 US gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 914 four cylinder, liquid and air-cooled, four stroke turbocharged aircraft engine, 86 kW (115 hp)
- Propellers: 3-bladed composite
- Maximum speed: 220 km/h (137 mph; 119 kn)
- Cruising speed: 170 km/h (106 mph; 92 kn)
- Stall speed: 73 km/h (45 mph; 39 kn)
- Range: 700 km (435 mi; 378 nmi)
- Rate of climb: 3 m/s (590 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 44.9 kg/m2 (9.2 lb/sq ft)
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 60. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Idea Aircraft (2012). "Aircraft". Retrieved 21 July 2012.