If Trees Could Fly
|If Trees Could Fly|
|Studio album by Marc Johnson, Eric Longsworth|
|Recorded||November 26, 1996 and June 12, 1997|
|Studio||Current Sounds Studio, New York|
|Label||Intuition Music INT 3228 2|
|Producer||Marc Johnson, Eric Longsworth|
|Marc Johnson chronology|
If Trees Could Fly is a studio album by jazz bassist Marc Johnson and cellist Eric Longsworth. The record was released via the Intuition Music label in 1998. The album includes 11 jazz compositions played by bass and cello only.
Chris Massey of PopMatters stated "There are only two instruments present on If Trees Could Fly: bass and electric cello. This is all: Mr. Johnson on the bass, Mr. Longsworth on the electric cello. The beauty of the music upon this album is the interaction between these two unadorned sounds. The bass typically paints a rolling background, when not off on a rhythmic tangent, and Mr. Johnson is always on top of his craft. So is Mr. Longsworth. The cello is sometimes staccato, sometimes swelling, always precise. The music, of course, is more than the unadorned voices of two men and their instruments. The instrumental record finds a third voice in the mixture and interaction of both the bass and the cello... This album is aptly named—if trees could fly, it would hardly match the musical accomplishment of these two musicians".
All tracks written by Marc Johnson and Eric Longsworth.
|3.||"Ton Sur Ton"||6:44|
|4.||"Dancin' to the Coffee Machine"||5:05|
|7.||"Au Clair De La Femme"||4:07|
|9.||"Her Majesty (The Turtle)"||4:00|
|11.||"Ton Sur Ton – Reprise"||2:15|
- Marc Johnson – bass
- Eric Longsworth – electric cello
- Pierre Arpin – photography
- Bruce Rosen – cover painting
- "Marc Johnson and Eric Longsworth – If Trees Could Fly". discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- "Marc Johnson / Eric Longsworth - If Trees Could Fly". intuition-music.com. Retrieved 2015-08-03.
- "Marc Johnson and Eric Longsworth – If Trees Could Fly". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- Massey, Chris. "Marc Johnson and Eric Longsworth -- If Trees Could Fly". popmatters.com. Retrieved 2015-08-02.