|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2009)|
When a newly developed android developed by Starfleet is destroyed, Lieutenant Commander Data helps investigate the incident and who is responsible. During the course of his search he discovers he is not as unique as he once believed.
During the run of the original Star Trek series many other robots and androids were seen, yet Data is often referred to as the only android in existence during the time of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Immortal Coil explains what happened to those other robots and androids, and how Data fits into their histories. The story references several previously-seen artificial intelligences and characters:
- Exocomps from the TNG episode "The Quality of Life"
- Androids from the TOS episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?"
- The M5 computer from the TOS episode "The Ultimate Computer"
- Flint and Reyna from the TOS episode "Requiem for Methuselah"
- Doctor Ira Graves from the TNG episode "The Schizoid Man"
- Commander Bruce Maddox from the TNG episode "The Measure of a Man"
- Dr. Noonien Soong, Data's creator, first seen in the TNG episode "Brothers"
|This article about novels and other printed work relating to Star Trek is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.