In (The Outsiders album)
|Studio album by|
|Genre||Rock and roll, garage rock|
|The Outsiders chronology|
Although never released individually as a CD, the band's third and fourth albums were reissued on Liberty Bell as a "two-fer" CD (catalogue number PCD-4366), along with bonus tracks.
Notes on the tracks
The fourth and fifth singles released by the Outsiders are included on this album. "Help Me Girl" was the last Top 40 single by the Outsiders and competed with another by the Animals that was released in the same time period. The "B" side, "You Gotta Look" was written by Bob Turek, who was now augmenting the songwriting talents of Tom King and Chet Kelley; both sides of the next single, "I'll Give You Time To Think It Over" and "I'm Not Trying To Hurt You" were written by all three of them, as were two additional tracks on the album, "Haunted by Your Love" and "It's Your Love".
This album included the first recording of "Bend Me, Shape Me", more than a year before the song became a U.S. hit for the American Breed and a U.K. hit for Amen Corner. In February 1967 – one month after this album was released – "Kind of a Drag" became a Number One hit for the Buckinghams.
CD Bonus Tracks
The first two tracks are both sides of the second single that was released by Sonny Geraci for the new band that he organized in Los Angeles; the single was released under the name the Outsiders but was later credited to Climax. The earlier single released in this manner was included in the bonus tracks on the first of the two Liberty Bell CDs. The next two tracks are from a single released by the Outsiders under Tom King's direction, when he reorganized the band in Cleveland; the new lead singer replacing Geraci was Jon Simonell. "Waiting for the End to Come" and "Park Preserve" are other selections by Climax.
- Tom King, rhythm guitar, tenor saxophone, vocals, arranger, songwriter
- Sonny Geraci, lead vocals
- Mert Madsen, bass guitar
- Al Austin, lead guitar
- Ronnie Harkai, drums
- Jimmy Fox, drums
- Chet Kelley, songwriter
- Mike Geraci, saxophone
- Evan Vanguard, horns
- Tommy Baker, horns and strings arrangements
All tracks composed by Tom King, Chet Kelley, and Bob Turek except where indicated
- "I'm Not Tryin' to Hurt You" 1:55
- "Help Me Girl" (Scott English, Laurence Weiss), 2:35
- "Bend Me, Shape Me" (Scott English, Laurence Weiss), 1:55
- "Kind of a Drag" (Jim Holvay), 2:36
- "Haunted by Your Love" 2:44
- "Charlena" (Manuel Chavez, Herman Chaney), 2:18
- "You Gotta Look" (Turek), 2:38
- "I'll Give You Time (to Think it Over)" 2:33
- "Gimme Some Lovin'" (Steve Winwood, Muff Winwood, Spencer Davis), 2:45
- "I Wanna Be Free" (Tommy Boyce, Bobby Hart), 2:04
- "It's Your Love" 2:28
When released by Liberty Bell, the CD included the tracks on this album in the same order as on that LP, followed by the tracks on Happening Live! in the same order, then these bonus tracks:
- "Loving You"
- "Think I'm Falling" solo version
- "Tinker Tailer" feat. Jon Simonell
- "You're Not So Pretty" feat. Jon Simonell
- "Waiting for the End to Come"
- "Park Preserve" full-length stereo version