In Darkness (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Anthony Byrne|
|Music by||Niall Byrne|
In Darkness is a 2018 thriller film directed by Anthony Byrne and written by Byrne and Natalie Dormer. It stars Dormer, Emily Ratajkowski, Ed Skrein, Joely Richardson, Neil Maskell, James Cosmo and Jan Bijvoet. The film was released direct-to-video on 25 May 2018 in the United States by Vertical Entertainment and on 6 July 2018 in the United Kingdom by Shear Entertainment.
Blind pianist Sofia (Natalie Dormer) overhears a struggle in the apartment above hers that leads to the death of her neighbor Veronique (Emily Ratajkowski). It is the start of a journey that pulls Sofia out of her depth and brings her into contact with Veronique's father, Zoran Radic (Jan Bijvoet), a Serbian businessman accused of being a war criminal.
Sofia is drawn into a dangerous world of corruption, investigating police, hitmen and the Russian mafia—a world with links to Sofia's own hidden past and a path of revenge she has kept hidden until now.
- Natalie Dormer as Sofia
- Emily Ratajkowski as Veronique
- Ed Skrein as Marc
- Joely Richardson as Alex
- Neil Maskell as Detective Inspector Oscar Mills
- James Cosmo as Niall
- Jan Bijvoet as Radic
Sofia is depicted as living in Maida Vale, London, where scenes were shot for the film, including a flower shop on Lauderdale Road which was converted to act as a café. Sofia and Veronique's building is located in Bramham Gardens, Kensington. Other filming locations included Brompton Cemetery, Ealing Hospital, the Thames Embankment, New Zealand House and the National Gallery.
In February 2018, Vertical Entertainment acquired US distribution rights to the film. The film was released direct-to-video on 25 May 2018 in the United States. In the United Kingdom, the film was released on 6 July 2018 by Shear Entertainment.
In the United Kingdom, the film grossed £1,550 in its opening week from 10 theaters.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 45% based on reviews from 22 critics, with an average rating of 4.8/10. On Metacritic, it has a score of 59 out of 100 based on reviews from seven critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
The film, which features Dormer nude as well as contains a sex scene, has been criticised for what some critics called "gratuitous nudity". Dormer dismissed this in an interview with The Guardian, saying, "There has to be sexuality in the power play of a thriller. We have all got bodies, after all. In this film the sex scene, which for me was a love-making scene, is a metaphor for the way my character connects with the part played by Ed Skrein. Nakedness is a good equaliser and the shower scene also shows the tattoos on my character's body and makes it clear she is not quite who you think."
- Hipes, Patrick (29 October 2015). "Natalie Dormer To Star In Indie Thriller 'In Darkness' – AFM". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- Russian, Ale (20 August 2016). "In Darkness: Game of Thrones star Natalie Dormer, fiance Anthony Byrne movie was tough to write". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- McNeice, Katie (20 September 2016). "Anthony Byrne's 'In Darkness' filming in London". Irish Film and Television Network. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "In Darkness: A film by Anthony Byrne" (PDF). Edinburgh International Film Festival. pp. 9–10. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- Roxborough, Scott (16 February 2018). "Berlin: Vertical Entertainment Picks Up Natalie Dormer's 'In Darkness' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Collis, Clark (15 May 2018). "Watch Natalie Dormer and Emily Ratajkowski in clip from thriller In Darkness". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- Braithwaite, Phoebe (29 June 2018). "The biggest new films coming out in the UK in July". Wired UK. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "In Darkness (2018)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- Gant, Charles (10 July 2018). "First Purge pays penalty as World Cup destroys cinema box office". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "In Darkness (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "In Darkness (2018) Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- Miller, Matt (9 July 2018). "Critics Are Outraged Over the Gratuitous Nudity in Natalie Dormer and Emily Ratajkowski's New Movie". Esquire. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Collinson, Gary (13 July 2018). "Natalie Dormer defends "gratuitous nudity" in new film In Darkness". Flickering Myth. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Thorpe, Vanessa (8 July 2018). "My film's erotic, not sadistic: Game of Thrones star hits back at critics". The Guardian. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
|This article about a 2010s thriller film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|