Inauguration of Joko Widodo
|Date||October 20, 2014|
|Participants||President-elect, Joko Widodo|
Vice President-elect, Jusuf Kalla
President of Indonesia
The Inauguration of Joko Widodo as seventh President of Indonesia took place on Monday, October 20, 2014 at the DPR/MPR Building, Jakarta. This ceremony marked the commencement of the five-year term Joko Widodo (universally known as Jokowi) as president and Jusuf Kalla as vice president.
Joko Widodo was elected in the highly competitive 2014 election. Jokowi, who held the post of mayor of Surakarta and the Governor of Jakarta receives widespread national and international media attention due to his unique background and style. He is a son of a carpenter who worked as a furniture exporter before becoming a politician. He is the first Indonesian president not to have come from the military or political elite. His unique leadership style, including blusukan (spending time in poor areas to informally chat with the people) proved very popular among Indonesian.
The inauguration ceremony was held on the People's Consultative Assembly parliamentary session, led by parliament speaker Zulkifli Hasan. Before the reading of the oath, he read the proclamation on the election results. President-elect Joko Widodo then read the presidential oath, followed by Jusuf Kalla afterwards.
After his inauguration, Joko Widodo delivered his inaugural address, titled "Dibawah kehendak rakyat dan konstitusi" (Under the will of the people and the constitution). In his speech, he promised that his government would ensure every citizen throughout the archipelago, including its furthest reaches, would be served. He also calls for unity among Indonesians and announcing his determination to establish Indonesia as a maritime country. To foreign guests and delegates, he said that Indonesia would remain consistent to its free and active foreign policy.
After the inauguration ceremony, the process continued by a people's festival that took place in the Monas monument, a few kilometres away from the DPR/MPR Building. Joko Widodo and Jusuf Kalla joined the cultural parade started from Hotel Indonesia roundabout to the Istana Merdeka, carried by a chariot. In the Istana, outgoing President Yudhoyono and his cabinet ceremonially handed over the presidential palace with a military procession. He then joined the peoples festival and address another speech.
Local guests attended the ceremony including the former presidents of Indonesia, B.J. Habibie and Megawati Sukarnoputri, and the spouse of the late president Abdurrahman Wahid, former First Lady Sinta Nuriyah. Former Vice President of Indonesia, Try Sutrisno and Hamzah Haz also attended the inauguration. His rival during the election, Prabowo Subianto and Hatta Rajasa also attended the ceremony, receiving appreciation and applause.
There are several international guests attended the inauguration ceremony, and until the inauguration ceremony, there are more that 90 diplomats and foreign representatives confirmed their attendance.
- Australia - Prime Minister Tony Abbott
- Brunei Darussalam - Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah
- People's Republic of China - National People's Congress vice-chairwoman Yan Junqi
- Canada - Member of Parliament and parliamentary secretary to the President of the Treasury Board Andrew Saxton
- East Timor - President Taur Matan Ruak
- Haiti - Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe
- Japan - Yasuo Fukuda
- South Korea - Kim Tae-whan and Ham Jin-kyu
- Malaysia - Prime Minister Najib Razak
- Netherlands - Minister of State Herman Tjeenk Willink
- New Zealand - Foreign Minister Murray McCully
- Papua New Guinea - Prime Minister Peter O'Neill
- Philippines - Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario
- Russia - Minister of Industry and Trade Denis Manturov
- Singapore - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong
- Sri Lanka - Minister of Petroleum Industries Anura Priyadharshana Yapa
- Thailand - Foreign Minister Tanasak Patimapragorn
- Turkey - Minister of Customs and Trade Nurettin Canikli
- United Kingdom - Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond
- United States - Secretary of State John Kerry
- Vietnam - Vu Duc Ndu
- "Jokowi dilantik hari ini sebagai presiden Indonesia".
- "Joko Widodo sworn in as Indonesian president". BBC News. 2004-10-20. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- Editorial: Start working, Jokowi', 22 January 2013, The Jakarta Post.
- "The New Face of Indonesian Democracy". Time. 2004-10-15. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- "Complete text of Jokowi inaugural address". tribunnews.com.
- "Joko Widodo inaugurated as Indonesia seventh president". Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "Berikut Rangkaian Pesta Rakyat Pelantikan Jokowi". Tempo.co. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "Tampil di panggung pesta rakyat, Jokowi kembali ajak rakyat bekerja keras". Sekretariat Kabinet RI. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "Masuk ruang pelantikan Jokowi, Prabowo dapat standing applause".
- "Siapa saja tamu negara yang hadir di pelantikan Jokowi". Tempo.co.