Informatics Institute of Technology
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Informatics Institute of Technology|
|Motto||To produce a new qualified IT professionals|
|Established||1990 (As the Informatics Institute of Computer Studies)|
|Location||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
IIT, Informatics Institute of Technology (formerly IICS, Informatics Institute of Computer Studies) is a private higher educational institute in Sri Lanka which specializes in Information Technology. It collaborates with leading foreign universities and allows students to follow those courses in Sri Lanka.
Up to now over 3000 have graduated from IIT since its establishment 1990, occupying significant positions in public and private companies. The alumni of IIT have played a pivotal role in empowering over 250 multinational and local blue-chip companies by holding key strategic positions and immensely contributing towards the growth of their respective organizations.
With the vision of Dr. Gamini Wickramasinghe to empower the youth in the Information Communication Technology (ICT) age, the Informatics Institute of Computer Studies (IICS) which is now known as the Informatics Institute of Technology (IIT) was established in 1990..
IPL has been in collaboration with Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), the largest non federal university in UK, to conduct the BSc (Hons) in Information Systems and Computing since 1990. This collaboration enabled IICS to deliver MMU courses in Sri Lanka and award the same qualification as those given by MMU in the UK. The first set of students of the programme graduated in 1994.
In 2002 IICS changed its name to IIT and in 2005 started a collaboration with the University of Westminster (UOW), UK. The first set of students from the UOW graduated in 2007.
Undergraduate programmes are offered in the disciplines of IT and Business.
- BSc (Hons) in Computer science
- BE (Hons) in Software Engineering
- BSc(Hons) BIS
Postgraduate MSc programmes
- MSc in Advanced Software Engineering
- Foundation Programme
|This section does not cite any sources. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The entire institute premises is spread over five floors and is centrally air-conditioned. Lecture rooms and tutorial rooms are equipped with modern teaching aids. The library has well over 7,000 volumes of related texts and references and is located overlooking the Indian Ocean. The library also subscribes to academic and professional journals. The computer laboratory consists of over 200 high-end PC's networked. Students have access to the special study rooms, conference halls, canteen and recreational facilities, including a swimming pool.
- State-of-the-art lecture rooms equipped with multimedia projectors, whiteboard and Wi-Fi
- Well stocked library with over 10,000 books and access to journals
- Access to ‘Blackboard’, the online study portal of University of Westminster
- Swimming Pool
- Student Lounges
- British Council HSBC Youth Enterprise Award
- NBQSA – Silver award under the Tertiary Student category (Technology)
- Imagine Cup 2013 Worldwide Finals held on 11 July at Russia.
- GLO-BUS 
- e-Swabhimani award 
- First Runner up at Imagine Cup 2012 
- Team ‘CR-Coderzs’ from IIT win second place at Microsoft Imagine Cup 2011
- 'Gold’ for the third time in succession at NBQSA 2011
- Third place at the Motorola Inter-University Enterprise Mobility Application Software Development Competition – 2010,
- Gold award in the tertiary category in NBQSA 2010 by Mohamed Hamzeen 
- Gold and Bronze Awards at NBQSA 2009
- Silver medal for the Tertiary Education category by Rukmal Fernando in NBQSA 2005
- "A Few of The Organizations which have Employed our Graduates |". Iit.ac.lk. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "Academic Partner |". Iit.ac.lk. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "IIT team dazzles the world at Imagine Cup 2013 |". Iit.ac.lk. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "Glo-Bus |". Iit.ac.lk. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "IIT student wins the prestigious e-Swabhimani award |". Iit.ac.lk. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "IIT emerges as First Runner up at Imagine Cup 2012 by changing the way of learning |". Iit.ac.lk. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "Team 'CR-Coderzs' from IIT win second place at Microsoft Imagine Cup 2011 |". Iit.ac.lk. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "IIT secures 'Gold' for the third time in succession at NBQSA 2011 |". Iit.ac.lk. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "Motorola Inter-University Enterprise Mobility Application Software Development Competition 2010 |". Iit.ac.lk. 2010-12-06. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "NBQSA 2010 |". Iit.ac.lk. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "IIT wins Gold and Bronze Awards at NBQSA 2009 |". Iit.ac.lk. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "NBQSA 2005 |". Iit.ac.lk. Retrieved 2015-10-01.