Integrated Global System Model
The Integrated Global System Model (IGSM) is an Integrated Assessment Model (IAM) developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change. The IGSM couples the MIT Earth System Model (MESM), an Earth system model of intermediate complexity, to the Economic Projection and Policy Analysis (EPPA), a human activity model that represents the world's economy. It has been used to understand the interactions between humans and the global climate system.
The IGSM has also been referenced in academic literature on climate systems, human activity, and policy implications. Version 1 was used by the model creators for an analysis of the Kyoto Protocol in a 1999 paper for Nature. Version 2.2 was used by the creators of the model in a study published as a working paper in 2008. A modified version was published in Climatic Change in 2011. A 2012 working paper did an analysis of climate policy targets under uncertainty. The strategy for investigating the impacts of climate change on Earth’s physical, biological and human resources and links to their socio-economic consequences in the MIT IGSM is discussed in an article published in Climatic Change in 2013. A demonstration of the IGSM capabilities for multi-sectoral assessment of climate impacts under a range of consistent and integrated economic and climate scenarios that are responsive to new policies and business expectations was published in Nature Communications in 2018.
- Sokolov, A.; Kicklighter, D.; Schlosser, A.; Wang, C.; Monier, E.; Brown-Steiner, B.; Prinn, R.; Forest, C.; Gao, X.; Libardoni, A.; Eastham, S. (2018). "Description and Evaluation of the MIT Earth System Model (MESM)". Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems. 10 (8): 1759–1789. doi:10.1029/2018MS001277.
- Chen, Y.-H.; Paltsev, S.; Reilly, J.M.; Morris, J.F.; Babiker, M.H. (2016). "Long-term economic modeling for climate change assessment". Economic Modelling. 52 (Part B): 867–883. doi:10.1016/j.econmod.2015.10.023.
- "IGSM - Integrated Global System Modeling Framework". Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "The MIT Integrated Global System Model" (PDF). Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Prinn, Ronald; Jocoby, Henry; Sokolov, Andrei; et al. (1999). "Integrated Global System Model for Climate Policy Assessment: Feedbacks and Sensitivity Studies" (PDF). Climatic Change. 41 (3/4): 469–546. doi:10.1023/A:1005326126726. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "Integrated Global System Model". Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "Towards New Scenarios for Analysis of Emissions, Climate Change, Impacts, and Response Strategies (Technical Summary)" (PDF). Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. September 19–21, 2007. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "Climate Models and Their Evaluation (Chapter 8, Working Group 1)" (PDF). Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (Fourth Assessment Report). Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Reilly, John; Prinn, Ronald; et al. (October 7, 1999). "Multi-gas assessment of the Kyoto Protocol". Nature. 401 (6753): 549–555. doi:10.1038/44069.
- Prinn, Ronald; Paltsev, Sergey; Sokolov, Andrei; Sarofilm, Marcus; Reilly, John; Jacoby, Henry. "The Influence on Climate Change of Differing Scenarios for Future Development Analyzed Using the MIT Integrated Global System Model" (PDF). Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Prinn, Ronald; Paltsev, Sergey; Sokolov, Andrei; Sarofilm, Marcus; Reilly, John; Jacoby, Henry (February 2011). "Scenarios with MIT integrated global systems model: significant global warming regardless of different approaches" (PDF). Climatic Change. 104 (3–4): 515–537. doi:10.1007/s10584-009-9792-y. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Webster, Mort; Sokolov, Andrei P.; Reilly, John M.; Forest, Chris E.; Paltsev, Sergey; Schlosser, Adam; Wang, Chien; Kicklighter, David; Sarofilm, Marcus; Melillo, Jerry; Prinn, Ronald G.; Jacoby, Henry D. "Analysis of Climate Policy Targets under Uncertainty" (PDF).
- Reilly, J.; Paltsev, S.; Strzepek, K.; Selin, N.E.; Cai, Y.; Nam, K.M.; Monier, E.; Dutkiewicz, S.; Scott, J.; Webster, M.; Sokolov, A. (2013). "Valuing climate impacts in integrated assessment models: the MIT IGSM". Climatic Change. 117 (3): 561–573. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.298.910. doi:10.1007/s10584-012-0635-x.
- Monier, E.; Paltsev, S.; Sokolov, A.; Chen, Y.-H.; Gao, X.; Ejaz, Q.; Couzo, E.; Schlosser, C.A.; Dutkiewicz, S.; Fant, C.; Scott, J.; Kicklighter, D.; Morris, J.; Jacoby, H.; Prinn, R.; Haigh, M. (2018). "Toward a consistent modeling framework to assess multi-sectoral climate impacts". Nature Communications. 9: 660. doi:10.1038/s41467-018-02984-9.
- Claussen, M.; Mysak, L. A.; Weaver, A. J.; et al. (2002). "Earth system models of intermediate complexity: closing the gap in the spectrum of climate system models" (PDF). Climate Dynamics. 18: 579–586. doi:10.1007/s0382-001-0200-1 (inactive 2019-02-20).
- Costanza, Robert; Leemans, Rik; Boumans, Roulef; Gaddis, Erica. "Integrated Global Systems" (PDF).