International Code of Nomenclature of Prokaryotes
The International Code of Nomenclature of Prokaryotes (ICNP) formerly the International Code of Nomenclature of Bacteria (ICNB) or Bacteriological Code (BC) governs the scientific names for Bacteria and Archaea. It denotes the rules for naming taxa of bacteria, according to their relative rank. As such it is one of the nomenclature codes of biology.
Originally the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature dealt with bacteria, and this kept references to bacteria until these were eliminated at the 1975 International Botanical Congress. An early Code for the nomenclature of bacteria was approved at the 4th International Congress for Microbiology in 1947, but was later discarded.
The latest version to be printed in book form is the 1990 Revision, but the book does not represent the current rules. The 2008 Revision has been published in the International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology (IJSEM). Rules are maintained by the International Committee on Systematics of Prokaryotes (ICSP; formerly the International Committee on Systematic Bacteriology, ICSB).
The baseline for bacterial names is the Approved Lists with a starting point of 1980. New bacterial names are reviewed by the ICSP as being in conformity with the Rules of Nomenclature and published in the IJSEM.
As of 2011, the formal separation of the botanical and bacteriological codes continues to cause problems with the nomenclature of certain groups.
- Buchanan, R. E., and Ralph St. John-Brooks. (1947, June) (Editors). Proposed Bacteriological Code of Nomenclature. Developed from proposals approved by International Committee on Bacteriological Nomenclature at the Meeting of the Third International Congress for Microbiology. Publication authorized in Plenary Session, pp. 61. Iowa State College Press, Ames, Iowa. U.S.A. Hathi Trust.
- Buchanan R. E., St , John-Brooks R., Breed R. S. (1948). "International bacteriological code of nomenclature". Journal of Bacteriology. 55: 287–306. doi:10.1128/jb.55.3.287-306.1948. PMC 518444. PMID 16561459.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link) Reprinted 1949, Journal of General Microbiology 3, 444–462.
- International Committee on Bacteriological Nomenclature. (1958, June). International code of nomenclature of bacteria and viruses. Ames, Iowa State College Press. BHL.
- Lapage, S.P., Sneath, P.H.A., Lessel, E.F., Skerman, V.B.D., Seeliger, H.P.R. & Clark, W.A. (1975). International Code of Nomenclature of Bacteria. 1975 Revision. American Society of Microbiology, Washington, D.C
- Lapage, S.P., Sneath, P.H.A., Lessel, E.F., Skerman, V.B.D., Seeliger, H.P.R. & Clark, W.A. (1992). International Code of Nomenclature of Bacteria. Bacteriological Code. 1990 Revision. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C. link.
- Parker, C.T., Tindall, B.J. & Garrity, G.M., eds. (2019). International Code of Nomenclature of Prokaryotes. Prokaryotic Code (2008 Revision). International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 69(1A): S1–S111. doi: 10.1099/ijsem.0.000778
- International Committee on Systematics of Prokaryotes (ICSP)
- P. H. A. Sneath, 2003. A short history of the Bacteriological Code URL Archived 2012-05-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision)
- VBD Skerman, Vicki McGowan, and PHA Sneath, 1989. Approved Lists of Bacterial Names, Amended edition Washington (DC): ASM Press
- Oren, A. (2011). "Cyanobacterial systematics and nomenclature as featured in the International Bulletin of Bacteriological Nomenclature and Taxonomy / International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology / International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology". International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 61 (1): 10–15. doi:10.1099/ijs.0.018838-0. PMID 21097637.
- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology Online
- Tindall BJ (July 1999). "Misunderstanding the Bacteriological Code". Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 49 (3): 1313–6. doi:10.1099/00207713-49-3-1313. PMID 10425796.
- List of Prokaryotic Names with Standing in Nomenclature
- Search of Prokaryotic Nomenclature provided by NamesforLife