International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is an international observance celebrated every year on October 17 throughout the world. The first commemoration of the event took place in Paris, France, in 1987 when 100,000 people gathered on the Human Rights and Liberties Plaza at the Trocadéro to honour victims of poverty, hunger, violence and fear at the unveiling of a commemorative stone by Father Joseph Wresinski, founder of the International Movement ATD Fourth World. In 1992, four years after Wresinski's death, the United Nations officially designated October 17 as The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.
— Joseph Wresinski, Text Engraved on Original Commemorative Stone in Paris
Purpose and Philosophy
Early in his career as an activist, Wresinski recognized that governments tended to ignore the plight of those living in poverty, leading to feelings of rejection, shame, and humiliation. As a result, one of the primary goals of the Day is to recognize the struggles of the impoverished and to make their voices heard by governments and ordinary citizens. Participation by the poorest of people is an important aspect of the observance of the Day.
- International Year of the Child
- Joseph Wresinski
- Poverty reduction
- Redefining Human Rights-Based Development
- Guisti, Ada (2003-12-01). "Peace Profile: Father Joseph Wresinski". Peace Review. 15 (4): 499–505. doi:10.1080/1040265032000156690. ISSN 1040-2659.
- "International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, 17 October". www.un.org. Retrieved 2016-10-22.
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, 17 October, Dag Hammarskjöld Library
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (UN official site)
- Social Perspective on Development Branch, United Nations Department of economic and social affairs
- , October 17, World Day to Overcome Extreme Poverty
- International Movement ATD Fourth World
- International day for eradication of poverty theme
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|