International Lefthanders Day
|International Left-Handers Day|
Left Handers' Day, 2001
|Next time||13 August 2019|
International Left Handers Day is observed annually on August 13 to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of the left handers. The day was first observed in the year 1976 by Dean R. Campbell, founder of the Lefthanders International, Inc.
International Left Handers Day was created to celebrate certain people's sinistrality and raise awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed in a predominantly right-handed world. It celebrates their uniqueness and differences, who are from seven to ten percent of the world's population. The day also spread awareness on issues faced by left-handers e.g. the importance of the special needs for left-handed kids, and also the likelihood for left-handers to develop schizophrenia.
- "August 13 – Left Hander's Day #LeftHandersDay". Left-Handed Portal. History of Left-Hander's Day. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- "Left-handed people more likely to have psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia: Yale Study". Yale. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Flatt, Adrian (October 1999). "The sinister handed". FRCS BUMC Proceedings. 12 (4): 267–271. Archived from the original on 22 November 2010. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- O'Brian, Bill (13 August 2006). "For One Minority, a Bias That's Just So Not Right". The Washington Post. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to International lefthanders Day.|
- Famous Left-Handers
- A lefthanders Day website
- Association of left handers INDIA
- An Australian Left-Handers website
|This holiday-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|