International Lefthanders Day
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|International lefthanders Day|
Left Handers' Day, 2001
|Next time||13 August 2016|
August 13 is designated International lefthanders Day by lefthanders International. It was first observed on the 13th of August, in the year 1976. As the name suggests, it is meant to promote awareness of the inconveniences faced by left-handers in a predominantly right-handed world. It celebrates their uniqueness and differences, who are from seven to ten percent of the world's population. Thousands of left-handed people in today's society have to adapt to use right handed tools and objects.
There’s also a more serious side to the day, which spreads awareness about the special needs of left-handed kids. Also, left-handed people may be more likely to develop schizophrenia because of their enhanced creativity and imagination.
While it had been observed on Aug. 13 of each year by many lefthanders since 1976, Left-handers Day was declared by the Left-Hander's Day Club on August 13, 1997. It was made to annually celebrate certain people's sinistrality and raise awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed.
Left-handers Day is now celebrated world-wide. In fact, in the United Kingdom alone, there have been over 20 events that mark this celebration. These events include celebrating a left-hander's creativity, adaptability and athleticism.
- "Left-handed people more likely to have psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia: Yale Study". Yale. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Left-Handers Day - History and How to Celebrate". Left-Handed Portal. History of Left-Hander's Day. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- "Left-Hander's Day". Punchbowl. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Flatt, Adrian (October 1999). "The sinister handed". FRCS BUMC Proceedings 12 (4): 267–271. Archived from the original on 22 November 2010. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- O'Brian, Bill (13 August 2006). "For One Minority, a Bias That's Just So Not Right". The Washington Post. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to International lefthanders Day.|
- Famous Left-Handers
- A lefthanders Day website
- Association of left handers INDIA
- An Australian Left-Handers website
|This holiday-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|