||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2015)|
|Editor in Chief||Kaja Perina|
|Based in||New York|
Psychology Today is a magazine published every two months in the United States. Founded in 1967 by Nicolas Charney, Ph.D, its intent is to make psychology literature more accessible to the general public. The magazine focuses on behavior and covers a range of topics including psychology, neuroscience, relationships, sexuality, parenting, health (including from the perspectives of alternative medicine), work, and the psychological aspects of current affairs.
The magazine's website features therapy and health professionals directories and hundreds of blogs written by a wide variety of psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, medical doctors, anthropologists, sociologists, and science journalists. Its current editor-in-chief is Kaja Perina.
It has a circulation of 275,000 and claims 14.1 people read each copy for a total audience of 3,877,500. From June 2010 to June 2011, it was the second top consumer magazine by newsstand sales. In recent years, while many magazines have suffered in readership declines, Adweek, in 2013, noted Psychology Today's 36 percent increase in number of readers.
Owned and managed by the American Psychological Association from 1983 to 1987, the publication is currently endorsed by the National Board for Certified Counselors, which promotes subscriptions and offers professional credit for a small fee and assigned assessment for each article read.
- "Media Kit" (PDF). Psychology Today. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 22, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Psychology Today". Encyclopædia Britannica. 2013.
- Perina, Kaja. "Psychology Today: Experts". Psychology Today. Sussex Publishers, LLC. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Ives, Nat (Aug 9, 2011). "Top 10 Consumer Magazines by Single Copy Sales (chart)". AdAge.
- Bazilian, Emma (May 29, 2013). "Magazine Readership Growing, Survey Shows Digital readership up more than 80% in past year". Adweek.
- Dougherty, Phillip H. (Feb 23, 1983). "Advertising: Psychology Today Sale To Group Completed". New York Times.
- NBCC. "Certification Benefits". NCC Service Center. National Board for Certified Counselors and Affiliates, Inc. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Landau (June 8, 2010). "Do Psychologists Still Listen to Freud?". CNN.