Institute of the Pacific United
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Go Global at IPU New Zealand|
|Location||Palmerston North, New Zealand|
Institute of the Pacific United is a Japanese and New Zealand tertiary educational institution based in Palmerston North, New Zealand. Another network of the institute is International Pacific University, which was established in 2007 in Okayama, Japan. Students of IPU New Zealand are from 24 different countries around the world.
Despite the fact that the institution had been known as International Pacific College (IPC) for 25 years, its name was officially changed to Institute of the Pacific United (IPU New Zealand) on 26 September 2015.
- 1 Partner universities
- 2 Academic programmes
- 3 Admission
- 4 Campus and facilities
- 5 Accommodation
- 6 Controversies
- 7 References
- 8 External links
- International Pacific University
- Foreign Trade University
- President University
- Qingdao University of Science and Technology
- Vladivostok State University of Economics and Service
- Tajik State University of Commerce
- Rangsit University
- Samarkand State University
- Diploma of Japanese Studies 
- Diploma of International Studies – Level 5/6 
- Diploma of International Sports Studies – Level 5 
- Graduate Diploma of International Studies – Level 7 
- The Licentiate Diploma and Certificate in TESOL (Trinity College London) 
Bachelor of international studies programmes
- Bachelor of International Business
- Bachelor of International Relations
- Bachelor of Linguistics
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies
- Bachelor of Japanese Studies
- Bachelor of International Tourism Management
- Master of International Studies (MIS) – Level 9 
- Postgraduate Diploma of International Studies – Level 8 
- English language courses
For domestic students
IPU requires students from New Zealand to gain different levels of University Entrance through NCEA to enter different programmes offered by them.
For international students
International students are required to take Foundation Education and English Programmes if they do not gain particular qualifications below:
- Minimum IELTS Academic score of 6.0 to enter Undergraduate Programmes
- Minimum IELTS Academic score of 7.0 to enter Postgraduate Programmes
Campus and facilities
Unlike other Manawatu-regional campuses such as Massey University and Universal College of Learning, IPU is built with the style of Japanese architecture with 20.5 hectare campus with 12 main buildings, located at Aokautere Drive, Palmerston North.
- Computer Network
- Dining Hall
- Residential Services
- Recreation Centre
- Teaching Blocks
- KAN Performing Arts Centre
- Counselling Services
- Medical Care
- IT Support
- Careers Centre
- Building A
- Building B
- Building C
- Building D
- Building T
Halls of residence
- Single-room hostels: Hall 1, Hall 2, Hall 3, Hall 4, Hall 5, Hall 6, Hall 8.
- Guest apartment: Hall 7.
- Twin-room hostels: Hall 9, Hall 10.
- Rugby/baseball/soccer field
- Tennis court
- Basketball/skateboarding court
- Student/staff/guest Parkings
- Swan house
- Student shops
On 24 May 2013, the Manawatu Standard broke an article detailing the difficulties the reporter had getting information from the management staff as to the organizational restructure that was taking place. Sources, including previous and current employees, had revealed to the newspaper, under the condition of anonymity, that more than 10% of the work force had been "laid off, left or were "forced out" since the start of the year." Sources also revealed the extent of the institutions use of service as opposed to permanent employment contracts, and that "Management were reluctant to be upfront about the restructure because of cultural differences and the need to "save face."
President Wayne Edwards responded to the article more than a month and half later in an interview with the reporter, stating that privacy concerns had prompted the College's extended silence on the issue.
- "KiwiQuals" and search for "Diploma of Japanese Studies"
- "KiwiQuals" and search for "Diploma of International Studies"
- "KiwiQuals" and search for "Diploma of International Sports Studies"
- "KiwiQuals" and search for "Graduate Diploma of International Studies"
- ""TESOL Course Providers' Brochure Sep '09.pdf"".
- "KiwiQuals" and search for "Bachelor of International Studies"
- "KiwiQuals" and search for "Master of International Studies"
- "KiwiQuals" and search for "Postgraduate Diploma of International Studies"
- "IPC silent over staff redundancies". Stuff.
- "Privacy concerns prompted silence". Stuff.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Institute of the Pacific United.|
- Institute of the Pacific United's website
- International Pacific University: International Pacific College's Sister University website