|Song by Mazzy Star from the album So Tonight That I Might See|
|Released||October 5, 1993|
|Writer(s)||Hope Sandoval (lyrics)|
|Composer(s)||David Roback (music)|
"Into Dust" is a song by American duo Mazzy Star that appears as the ninth track on their second album So Tonight That I Might See. The song's arrangement is sparse and features only acoustic guitar and violin as accompaniment to the vocals.
Although never released as an official single, the song has charted on two separate occasions on the UK Singles Chart. Fifteen years after the release of the album, the song charted at #71 in August 2009 following its appearance on a commercial for Virgin Media. Two years later, the song spent a further four weeks on the chart, reaching a new peak of #47, when it was used on the "Dust to Dust" trailer for Gears of War 3. In September 2011, "Into Dust" made its début appearance on the Irish Singles Chart, where it reached a peak of #40.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
|United Kingdom (OCC)||71|
|United Kingdom (OCC)||47|
|United States Rock Digital Songs (Billboard)||26|
Covers versions and remixes
- A cover by Ashtar Command appeared on The O.C. soundtrack album Music from the OC: Mix 6. This version originally appeared in "The Chrismukk-huh?" (Season 4, Episode 6).
- A trance remix by John O'Callaghan appeared on A State of Trance Episode 327.
In popular culture
- The song featured in the 1996 film Foxfire, starring Angelina Jolie.
- It was used, along with Among My Swan's "Take Everything", in the 2004 film In My Father's Den.
- It also featured in the 2007 film Rails & Ties, starring Kevin Bacon.
- "Into Dust" appeared in three different episodes of The O.C. It featured extensively as the outro on the "Pilot" episode of season 1, in the end scene in 1x07 "The Escape" and also on the season 4 episode "The Chrismukk-huh?"
- It was used in the Charmed episode "A Knight to Remember".
- It featured in the series House, in the third season episode "Informed Consent".
- It was in Standoff (TV series) in the episode "Road Trip"  in June of 2007
- The track was used in an episode of Canterbury's Law titled "Baggage".
- "Into Dust" was in the Moonlight episode "Fever".
- In September 2009, it was used on one of the final episodes of Hollyoaks Later and later in a February 2010 episode of Hollyoaks.
- On October 21, 2012, "Into Dust" appeared in the TV series 666 Park Avenue episode "Hero Complex".
- On April 29, 2013, in the third episode of Rectify. It was used again in the third episode of the second season, which aired June 26, 2014.
- It was used at the end of "Episode Three" of Babylon.
- In July 2016, "Into Dust" was used in the first episode of the miniseries The Night Of.
- The track was used in the trailer "Dust to Dust" for Gears of War 3.
- "Chart Stats — Mazzy Star — Into Dust", Chart Stats, archived from the original on April 29, 2012, retrieved September 27, 2011
- "Virgin Media Launching TV Campaign on Mobile Internet", Money High Street, Media Netrix, June 23, 2009, retrieved May 23, 2011
- "Ireland Singles Top 50". aCharts.us. Chart-Track (IRMA). September 22, 2011. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "Mazzy Star - Chart History". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Episode 327 < A State of Trance". Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "Mazzy Star - Soundtracks - IMDB". IMDB. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
|This pop song–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|