Iris Bohnet is a professor and author at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Bohnet is the director of the Women and Public Policy Program, Co-chair of the Behavioral Insights Group, and the faculty chair of the executive program, "Global Leadership and Public Policy for the 21st Century" for the World Economic Forum's Young Global Leaders at Harvard Kennedy School. She serves on the board of directors of Credit Suisse Group, as well as on the advisory boards of EDGE and Applied, as well as numerous academic journals. She is a member of the Global Agenda Council on Behavior of the World Economic Forum.
Bohnet has served as the Academic Dean of Harvard Kennedy School as well as on the boards or advisory boards of the Graduate Institute for International and Development Studies, Switzerland, the Vienna University for Business and Economics, Austria, and the University of Lucerne, Switzerland.
Bohnet is the author of What Works: Gender Equality by Design. The book, acclaimed by the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post, among others, offers evidence-based solutions to overcome gender bias in classrooms and boardrooms, in hiring and promotion, benefiting businesses, governments, and society. It has been included in 2016 top book lists by Forbes, the Financial Times, LinkedIn, and the Washington Post.
In 2016, Bohnet has been a featured speaker at Google Book Talks, the LSE, the OECD, SXSW, UNESCO, UNWomen, the World Bank, and the World Economic Forum, among others.
Bohnet's work has been featured in media outlets around the world, including the Atlantic, the BBC, Bloomberg News, the Boston Globe, The Economist, the Financial Times, Forbes, Handelsblatt, the Harvard Business Review, the Huffington Post, NPR, Neue Zürcher Zeitung, the New York Times, PBS, Tages-Anzeiger, Swiss Television, The Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, Wired and WirtschaftsWoche.
Her academic work has been published in the top peer-reviewed journals of her profession, including the American Economic Review, American Political Science Review, the Quarterly Journal of Economics, and Management Science, among about 60 others.
A native of Switzerland, she received her Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Zurich in 1997 and spent a year as a research fellow at the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley from 1997-1998. She joined the Harvard Kennedy School as an assistant professor in 1998 and was made full professor in 2006.
Bohnet, 2016. What Works: Gender Equality by Design. Belknap Press of Harvard University. Press. ISBN 978-0-674-08903-7
Bohnet, van Geen & Bazerman, 2016. When Performance Trumps Gender Bias, Joint Versus Separate Evaluation. Management Science 62 (5), 1225-1234.
Bohnet, 2016. Mit Big Data zum perfekten Team. WirtschaftsWoche, March 22.
Bohnet, 2016. Equality Takes Work. The Atlantic, April 12.
Bohnet, 2016. How to Take the Bias Out of Job Interviews. Harvard Business Review. April 18.
Bohnet, 2016. Interviewing Job Candidates? Try Doing It Blindly. WIRED UK, May 20.
Bohnet is married and she and her husband have two children. She used to compete in synchronized swimming, loves scuba diving and generally, is a water person.
- "Harvard Kennedy School: Faculty & Staff Directory". Harvard Kennedy School website. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Harvard Kennedy School Women and Public Policy Program: Welcome from the Director". Harvard Kennedy School website. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Women and Public Policy Program, Harvard Kennedy School". wappp.hks.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "Behavioral Insights Group". cpl.hks.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education: Faculty". Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education website. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Board of Directors of Credit Suisse Group AG". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Global Agenda Council on Behaviour". World Economic Forum. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "HKS appoints Bohnet academic dean". Harvard Gazette. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "What Works — Iris Bohnet | Harvard University Press". www.hup.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "Harvard Kennedy School: Iris Bohnet". Harvard Kennedy School website. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
Iris Bohnet | What Works: Gender Equality by Design | SXSW Interactive 2016
Iris Bohnet: "What Works: Gender Equality by Design" | Talks at Google
Iris Bohnet, Harvard professor and leading authority on gender equality in the workplace (Financial Times Podcast)
Social Science Bites: Iris Bohnet on Discrimination and Design