|Birth name||Irving Conrad Ashby|
December 29, 1920|
Somerville, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Died||April 22, 1987
|Associated acts||Lionel Hampton, Nat King Cole, Oscar Peterson|
Ashby was born in Somerville, Massachusetts and started playing guitar when he was nine. His career strarted in 1940 when he became a member of Lionel Hampton's band, and he played on Hampton's hit "Flying Home". In 1947, he took over for Oscar Moore in the Nat King Cole Trio.
He then briefly replaced Charlie Smith, a drummer, in the Oscar Peterson Trio, producing a lineup (piano, guitar, bass) similar to the Cole Trio's; the substitution of a guitarist for a drummer continued until 1958. After leaving the Peterson Trio, Ashby concentrated on session work, which included recording with Norman Granz, Sheb Wooley, LaVern Baker, Howard Roberts, B.B. King, Louis Jordan, and Pat Boone. In addition to guitar, Ashby played the upright bass.
Ashby died in April 1987 in Perris, California, at the age of 66.
- Memoirs (Accent, 1976)
- 1956 Way Out Wardell, Wardell Gray
- 1957 Illinois Jacquet and His Orchestra, Illinois Jacquet
- 1957 Let's Have a Party, Amos Milburn
- 1958 Prez, Pérez Prado
- 1968 Lucille, B.B. King
- 1973 Basie Jam, Count Basie
- 1974 California, Mundell Lowe
- 1975 Previn at Sunset, André Previn
- 1978 Man, We're Wailin' , Louis Jordan
- 1982 The History of an Artist, Vol. 1, Oscar Peterson
- 1990 Bird: The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve, Charlie Parker
- 1992 Retrospective: The Capitol Years, Stan Kenton
- 1997 Barrelhouse, Boogie, and the Blues, Ella Mae Morse
- 2007 The Complete Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions 1937–1941, Lionel Hampton
- 2007 The Essential Lou Rawls, Lou Rawls
- 2008 Quiet Riot, Buddy Rich
- 2009 Complete Recorded Works, Vol. 6, Fats Waller
- 2013 The Ballads of Eddie Cochran, Eddie Cochran
- 2013 The Ballads of Pat Boone, Pat Boone
- 2013 The Benny Carter Collection 1929–1947, Benny Carter
- 2013 The Lester Young Collection: 1936–1947, Lester Young
- 2016 The Complete U.S. & U.K. Hits 1942–1962, Nat King Cole
- Eagle, Bob; LeBlanc, Eric S. (2013). Blues - A Regional Experience. Santa Barbara: Praeger Publishers. p. 258. ISBN 978-0313344237.
- Yanow, Scott (2013). The great jazz guitarists : the ultimate guide. San Francisco: Backbeat. p. 10. ISBN 978-1-61713-023-6.
- Eugene, Chadbourne. "Irving Ashby". AllMusic. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- "Irving Ashby | Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 15 March 2017.