In 1988, she attended the State University of New York at Stony Brook, where she studied with Daria Semegen and Bulent Arel, having completed her masters (1991) and PhD (1994) in Composition at that university.
She is part of an important group of Portuguese composers that appeared in the 80's of the last century.
Life and Work
She has several works in cd by the publishers Portugalsom and Strauss, EMI Classics, New Music, Capella, Deux-Elles, Numérica, ISCM-WMD and IPCB.
As well as scores published by Musicoteca, Fermata, Cecilia Honegger, IPCB and MIC.
She is Professor of Composition, Theory and Musical Analysis in the Department of Communication and Art of the University of Aveiro since 1995.
She is a member of INET-MD as coordinator of the Theory and Technology of Music (CTTM) group.
She is the director of the CIME (Center for Research in Electroacoustic Music of UA) since 2014, having created the EAW (Electroacoustic Winds) platform. The last edition of this international conference has the following link: http://eaw.web.ua.pt/
She is a member of the Scientific Council of the Portuguese Music Research Center (CIMP) since 2008
Highlighted works of her catalogue
- Contornos (1987), winner of the JMP Exposition Competition and "The 1998 ISCM-ACL World Music Days", Hong Kong;
- ... A soir j'ai assis la Beauté sur mes genoux - Et je l'ai trouvée amère (1998), for chamber group, commissioned by Culturgest
- Inscriptions sur une Peinture (1998), for chamber orchestra, commissioned by Teatro Nacional S. Carlos.
- Cycle Anamorphoses - 1993-2017:
Anamorphoses III (1995), for violin and electronics;
Anamorphoses VII (2002), for chamber orchestra, commissioned by Casa da Música;
Anamorphoses VIII (2014), commissioned by DGartes - DuoContracello;
Anamorphoses IX (2017) for cello and orchestra, commissioned by Casa da Música;
- Cycle Mémoires d'Automne - 1999-2003:
Image I, for solo marimba.
- Cycle Le Navigateur du Soleil Incandescent - 2005-2014:
Première lettre (2005), viola and piano, commissioned by Festival of Póvoa do Varzim;
Deuxième lettre (2006), counter-tenor, choir and orchestra, commissioned by
Paradeisoi (2007), orchestra, commissioned by F. C. Gulbenkian.
Quatrième lettre (2010), Chamber group, commissioned by Miso Music.
- Shakespeare's Cycle - 2007-2014:
Since Brass nor stone ... (2007), soprano and electronic;
Kingdom of the Shore (2012), voice, video and electronics. commissioned by Festivais de Outono
- Cycle Four Elements (2014–15):
O Dragão Watatsumi (2015), six percussionists, order DGartes - Drumming group
- Ferreira, António: Miso Music Portugal: A History of Electroacoustic Music in Portugal [www.cime-icem.net/Doc/Portugal.doc], accessed 8 February 2010
- Mention of Soveral's Anamorphoses (1994), accessed 8 February 2010