|Headquarters||9655 International Blvd.
Cincinnati, Ohio 45246, U.S.
|Daniel Rajczak, President & CEO|
|Products||Umbrellas, Footwear, and
Cold Weather Accessories
|Owner||Investcorp and Freeman Spogli & Co.|
Totes Isotoner Corporation (stylized totes»ISOTONER; often referred to as Totes) is an international umbrella, footwear, and cold weather accessory supplier. The company is based in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. Totes is the largest supplier of umbrellas in the world with divisions in the United States, Canada, UK, and France. Investcorp and Freeman Spogli & Co.
The company sells products under totes, ISOTONER, and ESNY brands. Totes branded products include umbrellas, rubber footwear, ponchos, rain hats, and travel bags. Several licensed gift and boot products also carry the totes brand name. ISOTONER branded items include winter gloves, hats, and slippers. Mostly known for private label footwear, ESNY, now part of totes»ISOTONER, includes branded products such as flip-flops, sandals, and ESNY Occasions wedding footwear. Totes, ISOTONER, and ESNY branded products are carried by most national retailers in the United States, Canada, and Europe.
Totes was a company founded in 1923 as the Roll-o Radio Company'. Originally based in Oakley, Ohio, it moved to Loveland, Ohio in 1942. When Chicago businessman, Brad Phillips, purchased the company in 1961, the company changed its name to Totes on the premise that tote bags were the lead selling product at the time. ARIS»ISOTONER was a company founded in 1910 as the Aris Glove Company 'Manufacturer:Aris (French, founded 1910), whose name was likewise changed to include the name of its lead selling product, the ISOTONER nylon/spandex glove.
- In 1969 ARIS»ISOTONER Incorporated became a subsidiary of Consolidated Foods.
- In 1969 Brad Phillips obtained the first U.S. patent for a working folding umbrella, which Totes began to sell in the United States in 1970.
- In 1994, Bain Capital acquired Totes, a producer of umbrellas and overshoes.
Three years later, Totes, under Bain’s ownership, acquired ARIS»ISOTONER, a producer of leather gloves. The totes ISOTONER corporation was formed in 1997 as a result of the merger of Totes corporation and ARIS»ISOTONER Incorporated.
In 2009, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled in favor of the company in a high-profile discrimination case filed by LaNisa Allen, a former employee. Allen had been terminated for taking unauthorized breaks to pump breast milk.
- "Articles of Incorporation". Ohio Secretary of State. 1924-04-03. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Totes is Bought By Boston Investment Firm. New York Times, June 28, 1994
- Totes To Buy A Majority Interest In Aris Isotoner. New York Times, June 6, 1997
- Allen v. totes/Isotoner Corp.,123 Ohio St.3d 216, 2009-Ohio-4231. Supreme Court of Ohio, August 27, 2009