|State Secretary, Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic|
June 17, 2015 – January 15, 2017
|Preceded by||Vazil Hudák|
|Born||June 8, 1980|
Ivan Lesay (born June 8, 1980, Trnava) is a Slovak political scientist, economist, civil servant, columnist and writer. In the years 2015—2017, he served as State Secretary of the Finance Ministry of the Slovak Republic.
Education and academic career
After finishing his secondary school studies at Ján Hollý Grammar School in Trnava, he read Political Science at the University of Trnava (2000—2005) and Political Economy at the Central European University in Budapest (2005—2006). He earned his Doctorate in Economics at the Slovak Academy of Sciences (2010). He has completed several study and research visits at universities across Europe, for example at the Umeå University in Sweden (2004) and at the Vienna University of Economics and Business (2009).
He gained teaching experience at the University of Trnava (2006—2007), the Faculty of Social and Economic sciences of Comenius University in Bratislava (2011) and the University of Vienna (2011—2012).
He was awarded the Slovak Presidential Prize for young scientists from the Slovak Academy of Sciences for 2011. In his academic work, he has focused mostly on development policy, the welfare state and the political economy of the 2008 Financial Crisis.
Career outside Academia
Ivan Lesay served as national coordinator of Friends of the Earth-CEPA in the CEE Bankwatch Network (2006—2009) and as editor of the weekly Slovo (2007). He also worked as advisor to Monika Flašíková-Beňová MEP (2009—2012), as a researcher at the Slovak Academy of Sciences (2010—2016), and was a regular columnist for the Slovak daily newspaper Pravda (2011—2012). In (2012—2015), he was an advisor to the Finance Minister of the Slovak Republic, a consultant to the Slovak Prime Minister's Council of Advisors on financial policy, and editor of the Critical Economy blog on the web portal JeToTak.sk (2010—2015). 
As State Secretary of the Finance Ministry of the Slovak Republic (2015—2017), he was responsible for duties related to the Presidency of the Slovak Republic of the EU Council between July 2016 and January 2017.  During the EU Presidency, he was a negotiator of the Council of the EU for the 2017 budget of the European Union.   In January 2017, he was appointed the CEO of Slovak Investment Holding (previously SZRB Asset Management) and has been member of the board of directors of the European Investment Bank since May 2016.  He has also represented the Slovak Republic in a number of international institutions. He was a member of the board of directors of the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) and the European Financial Stability Mechanism (EFSM), the Economic and Financial Committee (EFC) and the Eurogroup Working Group (EWG). He also served as alternate governor of the International Monetary Fund. He is one of the founders of the National Development Fund II, in which he served as the chair of the Board of Supervisors.  
His works include a popular study of the 2008 Financial Crisis Život na úver (Všetko, čo ste chceli vedieť o kríze) [Living on Credit (Everything you Wanted to Know about the Crisis)], co-authored with Prof. Joachim Becker Vienna University of Economics and Business.  He is author of the children's book A-KO-ŽE (Lesankin fantastický svet) [A-KO-ŽE (Lesanka's Fantastic World)].  He also writes lyrics for the Trnava-based hardcore-crossover formation Fishartcollection, who are two-time finalists of the Radio Head Awards under the category Hard & Heavy.  
- "Ivan Lesay – CV". akademickydepozitar.sk. 2015. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "Mladí vedci zo SAV dostali ocenenie od prezidenta SR [Young Scientists from the Slovak Academy of Sciences awarded by the President]". vedatechnika.sk. Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic. July 12, 2011. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "Ivan Lesay – Blog Kritická ekonómia [Ivan Lesay – Critical Economics Blog]". blog.jetotak.sk/kriticka-ekonomia/. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- "Nový štátny tajomník Lesay bude riešiť naše predsedníctvo v Únii [New State Secretary Ivan Lesay will deal with our Presidency in the Union]". SME.sk. May 11, 2016. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "Novým štátnym tajomníkom Ministerstva financií SR je Ivan Lesay [Ivan Lesay is the new State Secretary of the Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic]". teraz.sk. June 17, 2015. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "Vláda SR vymenila splnomocnenca pre vyjednávanie rozpočtu EÚ, bude ním I. Lesay [The Government of the Slovak Republic replaced its plenipotentiary for negotiating the EU budget, the new plenipotentiary is Ivan Lesay]". euractiv.sk. October 5, 2016. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "Rada schválila rozpočet EÚ na rok 2017 [The Council approved the budget of the EU for 2017]". Council of the EU. November 28, 2016. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- "Ivan Lesay, Director at EIB". European Investment Bank. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- "Ivan Lesay, Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). European Investment Bank. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "National Development Fund II". Slovak Investment Holding. Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "Joachim Becker a Ivan Lesay: Život na úver [Joachim Becker and Ivan Lesay: Life on Debt]". inaque.sk. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- "Ivan Lesay: A-KO-ŽE". Pravda.sk. December 27, 2016. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- "Nominácie Radio_Head Awards 2013 [Nominations of the 2013 Radio Head Awards]". Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "Poznáme nominácie na Radio_Head Awards 2015 [We know the nominations of the 2015 Radio Head Awards]". Retrieved March 12, 2017.