|Full name||Isabelle Mary Geraldine Westbury|
8 March 1990 |
Hammersmith, London, England
|Bowling style||Right-arm off break|
|Only ODI||19 August 2005 v Ireland|
|Domestic team information|
Source: CricketArchive, 19 August 2016
Isabelle Mary Geraldine Westbury (born 8 March 1990) is a sports broadcaster, former international cricketer and President of the Oxford Union. She was captain of Middlesex for two seasons and was a member of the Western Storm squad in the Kia Super League, having previously played for the England Women's Academy. A right-handed batsman and off break bowler, she played for Somerset until 2012.
Born in Hammersmith, London, Westbury experienced a nomadic childhood, living in Mongolia, Sakhalin, Malaysia, Easter Island, the Antarctic and Syria before moving to the Netherlands in her early teens.
She attended The British School in the Netherlands until 2006. It was in the Netherlands that she first started playing cricket, after being prevented from playing club football alongside boys beyond the age of 13. Turning to cricket instead, Westbury played boys cricket for The Hague Cricket Club, and was picked for the national side aged just 14, making her first appearance at the 2004 Women's European Under-21 Championships. At 15 she made her senior international debut at the 2005 Women's European Championship. During this tournament, she also made her only ODI appearance, playing for the Netherlands against Ireland.
In the 2006 Women's European Under-21 Championships Westbury was the leading run-scorer and won the Player of the Tournament for her feats.
Move to England
Westbury moved to England in 2006 having won a sports scholarship to Millfield School in Street, Somerset. She signed for Somerset in the 2007 season. In 2010, she was selected as part of the England Women's Academy, travelling to India for the High Performance Camp.
Westbury attended Hertford College, Oxford where she studied Physiological Sciences. In addition to her cricket career, she also played hockey at Oxford, winning a Blue in 2010. In 2011, she was President of the Oxford Union, having earlier served as Secretary. Westbury is a sports broadcaster for the BBC.
- "BBC county cricket team of the season 2015". BBC.
- "Western Storm". Western Storm.
- "Middlesex v Lancashire - Day four - BBC Sport". BBC.
- "Oxford Union takes a pop at David Cameron". The Daily Telegraph.
- Lester, James (6 February 2010). "The Pro". Cherwell. Oxford Student Publications Ltd. Retrieved 23 June 2010.
- "Player Profile: Izzy Westbury". MCC University. Retrieved 23 June 2010.
- "Batting and Fielding in Women's European Under-21 Championship 2006 (Ordered by Average)". CricketArchive. Retrieved 23 June 2010.
- "Academy squad named for Bangalore". England and Wales Cricket Board. 28 January 2010. Retrieved 23 June 2010.
- "Westbury made Middlesex captain". West London Sport. 17 December 2014. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "Varsity Hockey action sees Oxford enjoy double delight". North London Press. Tindle Newspapers Ltd. 4 March 2010. Retrieved 23 June 2010.[dead link]
- "Union Tribunal goes West for Jack Sennett". Cherwell. 14 March 2011. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "Union Election Results". Cherwell. 30 November 2010. Retrieved 14 December 2010.
- "Middlesex v Lancashire - Day four". BBC Sport. 26 June 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2016.