Jade Cocoon 2
|Jade Cocoon 2|
Jade Cocoon 2 (玉繭物語2 ～滅びの蟲～ Tamamayu Monogatari Tsū ～Horobi no Mushi～, literally "The Story of the Jade Cocoon 2: Insect of Destruction") is a role-playing video game developed by Genki exclusively for PlayStation 2. It is the sequel to Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu. The game features a full 3D polygonal world, 200 cutscenes, and full voice-overs.
Jade Cocoon 2's plot occurs 100 years after the events in the original Jade Cocoon. The time of the Nagi people and "cocoon masters" has passed. New "cocoon masters" are now cited as "beasthunters" and are the prominent force of monster raising, with the player playing one named Kahu who visits the Temple of Kemuel in the hopes of becoming a beasthunter and having adventures like the old cocoon masters he's idolized. However, Kahu encounters trouble during his license exam required to become a full-fledged beast-hunter. He encounters a young fairy named Nico, who leaves Kahu cursed, and he's given a very short time to live before his body is consumed by evil. Fortunately, Kemuel Temple's resident guardian, Levant - the hero of the original Jade Cocoon - offers Kahu a chance to heal himself. By utilizing the four magical orbs found in the heart of the elemental forests and a dark lute, Levant will be able to save Kahu's life. Kahu now sets off on his adventure, to save himself and eventually the world. Other characters from the first Jade Cocoon also appear, like Kikinak, who became a rich shopkeeper thanks to Levant. A statue of Mahbu, the Nagi Maiden, can also be seen at the room where Levant is.
The game received "generally favorable reviews", a bit more positive than the first Jade Cocoon, according to the review aggregation website Metacritic. In Japan, Famitsu gave it a score of 31 out of 40.
- "Products: Old Hardware". Genki Co., Ltd. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
- Torres, Ricardo (January 3, 2002). "Jade Cocoon 2 Review". GameSpot. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- "Jade Cocoon 2 for PlayStation 2 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- EGM staff (February 2002). "Jade Cocoon 2". Electronic Gaming Monthly. No. 151. p. 148.
- "プレイステーション2 - 玉繭物語2 ~滅びの蟲~". Famitsu (in Japanese). Vol. 915. June 30, 2006. p. 89.
- Leeper, Justin (February 2002). "Jade Cocoon 2". Game Informer. No. 106. p. 83. Archived from the original on March 20, 2008. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- Star Dingo (December 17, 2001). "Jade Cocoon 2 for PS2 on GamePro.com". GamePro. Archived from the original on February 6, 2005. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- Garbutt, Russ (January 15, 2002). "Jade Cocoon 2". PlanetPS2. Archived from the original on January 17, 2002. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- The Badger (January 2, 2002). "Jade Cocoon 2 Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on October 5, 2008. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- Edwards, Ralph (December 28, 2001). "Jade Cocoon 2". IGN. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- "Jade Cocoon 2". Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine. February 2002. p. 107.
- "Review: Jade Cocoon 2". PSM. February 2002. p. 38.