Dr. James Enderby Bidlack (born February 1, 1961) is a Professor of Biology and CURE-STEM Scholar the University of Central Oklahoma, President of Metabolism Foundation., and Vice President of The Genome Registry. He is a member of the MERLOT Editorial Board MERLOT/Biology, and a past co-sponsor for the Tri-Beta/Biology Club. Most notably, James (Jim) Bidlack is known for his research, textbooks, and involvement with the Repository for Germinal Choice.
This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dr. James Enderby Bidlack currently works as a professor of Biology at the University of Central Oklahoma conducting research in multi-disciplinary fields. Bidlack has worked with weed control of pigeon pea. He has performed research to determine the nitrogen content and dry weight of chickpeas as well as pigeon peas in a wheat-legume crop rotation for several years. Some of his most recent work involves measuring the morphology, biomass, and vessel diameter in pigeonpea when being subjected to water stress. He has also worked in collaboration with Philip M. Silverman to evaluate an active type IV secretion system that makes Escherichia coli sensitive to bile salts. Most recently, Dr. Bidlack Co-Founded The Genome Registry with business partner, Hal Stevens.
- Bidlack, J.E., and S.H. Jansky. 2018. Introductory Plant Biology, Fourteenth Edition. New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Bidlack, J.E., and S.H. Jansky. 2014. Introductory Plant Biology, Thirteenth Edition. New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Bidlack, J.E., and S.H. Jansky. 2011. Introductory Plant Biology, Twelfth Edition. New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Stern, K.R., J. Bidlack, and S. Jansky. 2008. Introductory Plant Biology, Eleventh Edition. New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Stern, K.R., J. Bidlack, S. Jansky, and G. Uno. 2006. Introductory Plant Biology, Tenth Edition. New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Stern, K.R., S. Jansky, and J. Bidlack. 2003. Introductory Plant Biology, Ninth Edition. New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Bidlack, J.B., and J.E. Bidlack. 2014. Effect of jasmonic acid on biomass and enzyme activity in sorghum and switchgrass. UCO Journal of Undergraduate Research 1:20-24.
- Bidlack, J.E., A. Middick, D. Shantz, C.T. MacKown, R.D. Williams, and S.C. Rao. 2006. Weed control in a pigeon pea - wheat cropping system. Field Crops Res. 96:63-70.
- Bidlack, J.E., and A.J. Ohlrogge. 1988. Monocetyl phosphate treatment of 'Auburn' and 'Caldwell' wheat seeds. Bul. Plant Growth Reg. Soc. Amer. 16:10-12.
- Bidlack, J.E., and D.R. Buxton. 1995. Chemical regulation of growth, yield, and digestibility of alfalfa and smooth bromegrass. J. Plant Growth Reg. 14:1-7.
- Bidlack, J.E., and D.R. Buxton. 1992. Content and deposition rates of cellulose, hemicellulose, and lignin during regrowth of forage grasses and legumes. Can. J. Plant Sci. 72:809-818.
- Bidlack, J.E., and P.M. Silverman. 2004. An active type IV secretion system encoded by F plasmid sensitizes Escherichia coli to bile salts. J. Bacteriol. 186:5202-5209.
- Bidlack, J.E., and W.V. Dashek. 2017. Plant cell walls. In: Plant Cells and their Organelles. Dashek, W.V., and Miglani, G. S. (eds). pp. 214–242. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Bidlack, J.E., C.T. MacKown, and S.C. Rao. 2007. Dry weight and nitrogen content of chickpea and winter wheat grown in pots for three rotations. J. Plant Nutrition 30:1541-1553.
- Bidlack, J.E., D.R. Buxton, R.M. Shibles, and I.C. Anderson. 1997. Phenylalanine ammonia lyase and syringaldazine oxidase activities in relation to lignin deposition in legumes. Recent Res. Devel. Agronomy 1:1-8.
- Bidlack, J.E., D.R. Buxton, R.M. Shibles, and I.C. Anderson. 1995. Phenylalanine ammonia lyase as a precursory enzyme of legume stem lignification. Can. J. Plant Sci. 75:135-140.
- Bidlack, J.E., G.R. Oliveras, and C.A. Stutte. 1989. NADH oxidation, H+ efflux, and nutrient ion uptake of soybean roots. J. Agric. Univ. P.R. 73:375-381.
- Bidlack, J.E., J.E. Vaughan, and C.L. Dewald. 1999. Forage quality of ten eastern gamagrass [Tripsacum dactyloides (L.) L.] genotypes. J. Range Manage. 52:661-665.
- Bidlack, J.E., M. Malone, and R. Benson. 1992. Molecular structure and component integration of secondary cell walls in plants. Proc. Okla. Acad. Sci. 72:51-56.
- Bidlack, J.E., S.C. Rao, and D.H. Demezas. 2001. Nodulation, nitrogenase activity, and dry weight of chickpea and pigeon pea cultivars using different Bradyrhizobium strains. J. Plant Nutrition 24:549-560.
- Buck, G.W., and J.E. Bidlack. 1998. Identification of Quercus and Celtis species using morphological and electrophoretic data. Proc. Okla. Acad. Sci. 78:23-33.
- Elmer, A.M., and J.E. Bidlack. 2010. Enzymes related to chlorophyll biosynthesis in soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.] lines. Proc. Okla. Acad. Sci. 90:11-18.
- Jones, B.A., and J.E. Bidlack. 2014. Use of dragon’s blood (Daemonorops draco) pigment in photovoltaic cells. UCO Journal of Undergraduate Research 1:43-47.
- Meek, C.R., and J.E. Bidlack. 2005. Arthropod population, phenylalanine ammonia lyase activity, and fresh weight of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum) as affected by plant ages and Bacillus thuringiensis treatment. Proc. Okla. Acad. Sci. 85:9-17.
- Olson, P.E., and J.E. Bidlack. 1997. Yield and enzyme activity of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum) subjected to alternative pest control. J. Herbs, Spices, & Medicinal Plants 4:3-16.
- Porter, M.A., and J.E. Bidlack. 2011. Morphology, biomass, and vessel diameter of pigeon pea subjected to water stress. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 42:2334-2343.
- Rao, S.C., C.T. MacKown, and J.E. Bidlack. 2002. Biomass and nitrogen traits of summer pigeon peas and winter wheat grown for three rotations in containers. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 33:897-912.
Repository for Germinal Choice
During the mid to late 1990s Bidlack donated specimens to the Repository for Germinal Choice. The Repository for Germinal Choice was a sperm bank which only stocked specimens from those were thought to be the best and the brightest. He was interviewed regarding his involvement with this project by Slate Magazine and the book The Genius Factory: The Curious History of the Nobel Prize Sperm Bank (2005) by David Plotz. Bidlack also appeared in a documentary on the Repository for Germinal Choice, which aired on BBC Horizon in 2006.
- "Officers". Metabolism.net. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- "Member Profile". Merlot.org. 1999-12-20. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- "Biology Organizations". uco.edu. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Bidlack, James E.; Middick, Andy; Shantz, Delmar; MacKown, Charles T.; Williams, Robert D.; Rao, Srinivas C. (2006). "Weed control in a pigeon pea–wheat cropping system". Field Crops Research. 96: 63. doi:10.1016/j.fcr.2005.05.005.
- Porter, Monty A.; Bidlack, James E. (2011). "Morphology, Biomass, and Vessel Diameter of Pigeon Pea Subjected to Water Stress". Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 42 (19): 2334. doi:10.1080/00103624.2011.605491.
- Bidlack, J. E.; Silverman, P. M. (2004). "An Active Type IV Secretion System Encoded by the F Plasmid Sensitizes Escherichia coli to Bile Salts". Journal of Bacteriology. 186 (16): 5202–9. doi:10.1128/JB.186.16.5202-5209.2004. PMC 490876. PMID 15292121.
- Plait, Phil. "The "Genius Babies," and How They Grew - Slate Magazine". Slate.com. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- Olding, Paul (2006-06-15). "UK | Magazine | The genius sperm bank". BBC News. Retrieved 2013-08-02.