James Butler, 3rd Marquess of Ormonde
|The Most Honourable
The Marquess of Ormonde
|Lord-Lieutenant of County Kilkenny|
|Born||5 October 1844|
|Died||26 October 1919|
|Spouse(s)||Lady Elizabeth Harriet Grosvenor|
He was the son of John Butler, 2nd Marquess of Ormonde and Frances Jane Paget. His father held the title "Earl of Ossory" as one of his subsidiary titles, which made James Butler the Earl of Ossory by courtesy until his father died in 1854.
A Colonel in the Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles and Commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron, he was Vice-Admiral of Leinster and a member of the Privy Council of Ireland. He was awarded the Order of the Crown of Prussia (first class). He was invested as a Knight, Order of St Patrick(K.P.) in 1868. He held the office of Lord-Lieutenant of County Kilkenny between 1878 and 1919.
He was the first patron of Dublin Swimming Club, Ireland's first swimming club, founded in 1881. He held that role until his death in 1919.
Marriage and Children
He married Lady Elizabeth Harriet Grosvenor, daughter of Hugh Grosvenor, 1st Duke of Westminster, widely regarded to be the richest peer in England in the second half of the 19th century, on 2 February 1876. They had two daughters:
- Beatrice Butler (1876–1952), married with Lt.-Gen. Sir Reginald Pole-Carew, KCB CVO, leaving issue.
- Constance Mary Butler (1879–1949), died unmarried.
The title was passed to his brother James Butler, 4th Marquess of Ormonde as a result of his lack of sons. Elizabeth, Lady Ormonde, was granted an annuity of £3,000 per year under his will. She had also inherited £35,000 upon the death of her father in 1899.
- "British royalty visit Kilkenny". Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "The Peerage". Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Lords of the Castle". Archived from the original on 20 July 2015. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Mosley, Charles, editor (2003). Burke's Peerage. Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes.
- Dublin Swimming Club website, dublinswimmingclub.ie; accessed 19 April 2016.
- "Biography". Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Media related to James Butler, 3rd Marquess of Ormonde at Wikimedia Commons
|Lord Lieutenant of Kilkenny
The Earl of Desart
|Peerage of Ireland|
|Marquess of Ormonde
James Arthur Butler
|This biography of a marquess in the peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|