James Stewart (lawyer)
|Born||James Henry Wilson Stewart
2 May 1966
Liskey, Strabane, Northern Ireland
|Residence||Covent Garden, London and Strabane, Co Tyrone|
|Nationality||British and Irish|
|Education||Coleraine Academical Institution
University of Essex
|Employer||Penningtons Manches LLP|
|Parent(s)||John Desmond Moody Stewart, Elizabeth Frances Wilson|
James Stewart is a London-based family lawyer.
Stewart qualified as a solicitor in 1990, was accredited by Resolution as a specialist family lawyer in 1999. A year later he was appointed partner and head of the family department at Reynolds Porter Chamberlain. In 2003 he was profiled in the "On the Verge" series of the Observer magazine . He became a partner at Manches, now Penningtons Manches LLP, in 2006, shortly after being elected as a Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (IAML).
In January 2009 Stewart was appointed Governor of the IAML and invited to become a member of the Times Law Panel, an advisory body of 100 of the country's most prominent barristers and solicitors. In January 2011 Stewart was named in the Lawyer Magazines ‘Hot 100’ listing.
He has acted on a number celebrity and high-profile divorces. His clients have included Pricilla Waters (in her divorce against Roger Waters) and Julie Le Brocquy, producer of BAFTA award-winning Osama. Stewart also successfully represented Glory Annen Clibbery in the landmark family/Human Rights Act 1998 case of Clibbery v Allan (2002), where he won at first instance and on appeal. He also acted for the successful claimant, Kerry Cox, in the widely publicised cohabitation case of Cox v Jones in 2004. His firm, Penningtons Manches, represented Guy Ritchie in his divorce with his wife Madonna.
- the Lawyer
- the Times
- "Resolution Website". Resolution.org.uk. 1 December 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Observer". The Guardian. UK. 20 April 2003. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Inside Divorce". Inside Divorce. 13 March 2007. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Legal 500". Legal 500. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Spears WMS
- "Chambers UK 2011". Chambersandpartners.com. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers-Officials". Iaml.org. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "The Times Law Panel". The Times. UK. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "The Law Panel and the Supreme Court". The Times. UK. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- James Stewart Penningtons Manches About.Me
- Rozenberg, Joshua (31 January 2002). "Judges' ruling allows Ivan Allan's mistress to publish court secrets". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Millionaire fails to silence ex-mistress". BBC News. 30 January 2002. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Independent- Janet Street-Porter on Cox v Jones Archived 27 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Times – Madonna Divorce". Entertainment.timesonline.co.uk. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "The Lawyer Work/Life". Thelawyer.com. 2 June 2008. Retrieved 12 December 2011.