Jayne Marie Mansfield
|Jayne Marie Mansfield|
November 8, 1950|
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Known for||First Playboy pictorial model whose mother was a Playmate|
|Relatives||Mariska Hargitay (maternal half-sister)|
Jayne Marie Mansfield (born November 8, 1950) is the first child and elder daughter of 1950s Hollywood sex symbol and Playboy Playmate Jayne Mansfield and Mansfield's ex-husband Paul. Mansfield is also the older half-sister of actress Mariska Hargitay. In July 1976, Mansfield became the first daughter of a Playmate to be a featured model. To date, only one other daughter of a Playmate has been featured in the magazine. Additionally, Mansfield is the only model who was featured as 100 Beautiful Women along with her mother in the magazine's 1988 special issue. She has acted in the film Olly, Olly, Oxen Free (1978) and TV production Blond in Hollywood (2003).
|Jayne Mansfield – Mother|
|Paul Mansfield – Father|
|Mickey Hargitay – Step father|
|Antonio Raphael Ottaviano Cimber – Half Brother|
|Tina Hargitay – Step sister|
|Zoltan Hargitay – Half-brother|
|Mariska Hargitay – Half-sister|
|Miklos 'Mickey' Hargitay Jr. – Half-brother|
Two weeks before her mother's death on June 29, 1967, Mansfield, then 16, accused her mother's then boyfriend, Sam Brody, of beating Jayne Marie. Her statement to the Los Angeles Police Department the following morning implicated her mother in encouraging the abuse, and days later, a juvenile-court judge awarded temporary custody of Jayne Marie to a great-uncle, W.W. Pigue. Out of Jayne's five children, only Jayne Marie attended her mother's funeral on July 3, 1967, because the other children were all under the age of 10.
In 1968, wrongful death lawsuits were filed on behalf of Jayne Marie and Matt Cimber, Jayne's husband from September 24, 1964 to July 11, 1965 and producer-director of her last film Single Room Furnished, the former for $4.8 million and the latter for $2.7 million.
In 1970, she married Barry Lang in Las Vegas, Nevada; the couple had one son but were later divorced. As of 2008, Mansfield is in a long-term relationship and frequently visits her grandchildren. In March 1979, she declared her plan to write a biography of her mother.
Playmate's daughter as a Playboy model
Mansfield is the first of Playboy nude models whose mothers were featured nude as well. Her 7-page pictorial in the magazine's July 1976 issue, titled Jayne's Girl, was photographed by Dwight Hooker. Hooker made the pictorial in a vintage Southern context, including monochromatic images. The accompanying text makes a comparison to her mother and the differences between the two, though Jayne Marie said in an interview that she is "not capitalizing on her bosom as (my) mother did" for the pictorial. In describing her art historian Anthony W. Lee together with photographer Diane Arbus wrote, "Jayne Marie Mansfield has her mother's rounded features and mysterious eyes."
- Olly, Olly, Oxen Free (1978): An independent film directed by Richard A. Colla that featured Katharine Hepburn and Kevin McKenzie in the lead. She was uncredited in cast list.
- Blond in Hollywood (season three): (TV production, 1 episode, February 2003): Third season of a documentary series on Hollywood sex symbols that also featured Matt Cimber and Miklós Hargitay, two of Jayne's husbands as themselves.
- Jayne Mansfield: Loves and Kisses: Featured as an interview in the A&E documentary hosted by Peter Graves aired in 2006.
Footnotes and references
- "Jayne Mansfield Dies in New Orleans Car Crash". The New York Times. June 30, 1967. p. 33.
- Strait, pp. 288–289
- "Jayne Mansfield Suit Filed". The New York Times. June 23, 1968. p. 22.
- "Ask Stacy: Hollywood Exclusive by Marilyn Beck & Stacy Jenel Smith". Creators.com. February 16, 2008. Archived from the original on January 20, 2013. Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- Faris, Jocelyn (1994). Jayne Mansfield: A Bio-Bibliography. ABC-CLIO. p. 38. ISBN 9780313285448.
- Faris, Jocelyn (1994). Jayne Mansfield: A Bio-Bibliography. ABC-CLIO. p. 39. ISBN 9780313285448.
- Playboy by Marion Dreyfus at Daily Speculations; Retrieved: 2007-09-29
- Frequently Asked Questions about Playboy Enterprises Inc. at alt.mag.playboy newsgroup; Retrieved: 2007-09-05
- Frequently Asked Questions Archived 2012-02-06 at the Wayback Machine. about Playboy Enterprises Inc. at AllAnswers.org; Retrieved: 2007-09-29
- Playboy Statistics & Info Archived 2007-12-25 at the Wayback Machine. at Free for All, CelebSwap.com; Retrieved: 2007-09-29
- Hooker, Dwight (July 1976). "Jayne's Girl". Playboy. pp. 81–87.
- "And, here's Jayne Marie Mansfield", Bucks County Courier Times, 1976-06-11
- "Jayne in Playboy", Times Recorder, 1976-06-17
- Anthony W. Lee, John Pultz & Diane Arbus, Diane Arbus: Family Albums, page 14, Yale University Press, 2003, ISBN 0-300-10146-5
- Alternatively titled a.k.a. The Great Balloon Adventure, or The Great Balloon Race
- Olly Olly Oxen Free on IMDb
- Blond in Hollywood on IMDb