|Member of the European Parliament|
20 July 2004
24 February 1940 |
Jean-Marie Cavada (born 24 February 1940 in Épinal, Vosges) is a French politician and Member of the European Parliament for the Ile de France. Since 3 December 2011 he is president of the European Movement France.
Cavada was born in Épinal, Lorraine, to a family descended from Iberian Jews. His son is named after Yitzhak Rabin, the assassinated Israeli prime minister. Cavada was a member of the former Union for French Democracy, which was part of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, and as a deputy for the south-west of France, he chairs the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs, a substitute for the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs and a member of the delegation to the EU–Romania Joint Parliamentary Committee, from 2004 to 2009.
After the creation of the MoDem as a replacement of the Union for French Democracy, he created his own party Civic Alliance for Democracy in Europe. For the 2009 European Parliament election, he was the third member of the list of the presidential majority (UMP/NC/LGM), under the New Centre label. He is a member of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe Group.
In 2015 Cavada introduced a proposal to restrict the freedom of panorama in all EU countries indicating that this would limit the impact of "American monopolies such as Facebook and also Wikimedia" and serve to protect "a sector of European culture and creativity". The proposal was rejected by the European Parliament.
- "Communiqué de presse : Jean-Marie CAVADA élu Président du ME-F, 3 décembre 2011". mouvement-europeen.eu.
- Michèle Renouf (2009). 'Mr Jean-Marie Cavada who at once declared himself “1/3 jewish”', in BEHIND ENEMY LINES IN BRUSSELS: A Victory for Revisionist Norms
- (28 February 2008). "Cavada dénonce ses détracteurs" – Le Huffington Post (French). Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Jean-Marie Cavada". europa.eu.
- Rebecca Perring (June 23, 2015). "Now EU wants to BAN your photos of the London Eye and the Angel of the North". Daily Express. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- Jean-Marie Cavada (June 26, 2015). "Ma position sur le droit de panorama" (in French). Jean Marie Cavada, official page. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- Chris Cheesman (July 9, 2015). "European Parliament rejects ‘absurd’ EU plan to axe Freedom of Panorama". Amateur Photographer. Retrieved July 11, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jean-Marie Cavada.|
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament from France is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|