Jean-Michel Emmanuel Salanskis (born April 5, 1951 in Paris) is a French philosopher and mathematician, professor of science and philosophy at the University of Paris X Nanterre. Originally gaining a Diplôme d'études approfondies in pure mathematics he went on to study philosophy with Luis Puig and Jean-Francois Lyotard from 1974 to 1983. In 1986 he completed a doctoral dissertation on Le continu et le discret (the continuous and the discrete). He is an important interpreter of continental philosophers such as Jacques Derrida, Emmanuel Levinas, Edmund Husserl, Martin Heidegger, and Gilles Deleuze, and he has published widely in English and French. He has also written about Judaism and the philosophy of mathematics.
In his book La gauche et l'égalité he argues that the left is structured by a “critique of power taking the form of a critique of man’s humiliation at the hands of transcendence" (p. 22), and that it is therefore necessary "to eliminate entirely the communist episode from the left,” for this episode partakes of the crushing of the people by one man who can “become the keystone of the world, restoring the attributes and the aura of royalty" (p. 37).
In his 2010 book Derrida, he presents the philosophy of Jacques Derrida in an accessible manner for the lay reader, showing how Derrida's work related to the fields of psychoanalysis, radical politics, and literature.
- 1996 - "Heidegger" Belles Lettres.
- 1997 - "Le Temps du Sens" (English: The times of the senses). Hyx.
- 1998 - "Husserl". Belles Lettres.
- 1999 - "Le constructivisme non standard" Presses universitaires du Septentrion.
- 2003 - 'Extermination, loi, Israël. Ethanalyse du fait juif" (English: Extermination, law, Israel: Eth-Analysis of the Jewish fate) Belles Lettres.
- 2004 - "Talmud, science et philosophie (English: Talmud, science and philosophy) Belles Lettres.
- 2006 - "Lévinas vivant" (English: Lévinas alive) Belles Lettres.
- 2007 - "Territoires de sens" (English: Territories of the senses) Librairie Philosophique Vrin
- 2008 - "Philosophie des mathématiques" (English: Philosophy of Mathematics) Librairie Philosophique Vrin
- 2009 - "Vivre avec les mathématiques" (English: Life with Mathematics) Seuil.
- 2009 - "La Gauche et L'égalité. (English: The Left and Equality) Presses Universitaires de France.
- 2010 - "Derrida". Belles Lettres.
- 2011 - "Le monde computationnel" (English: the Computational World) Editions Les Belles Lettres.
Articles in English
- 1994 - "Continuity, cognition, linguistics", in The Continuum in Semantical Linguistics, C. Fuchs and B. Victorri (Ed.), Amsterdam/Philadelphia, J. Benjamins, 127-153.
- 1995 - "Die Wissenchaft denkt nicht", in Tekhnema n° 2, trad. G. Collins, Paris, 60-84.
- 1996 - "Idea and Destination" in Deleuze : A Critical Reader, P. Patton ed., Oxford-Cambridge, Blackwell, 1996, 57-80.
- 1997 - "Analysis, Hermeneutics, Mathematics", in Otte, M., & Panza, M. (eds), Analysis and Synthesis in Mathematics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 227-241.
- 2000- "Sense and Continuum in Husserl", in Petitot, J., Varela, F.J., Pachoud, B., & Roy, J.-M., Naturalizing Phenomenology, Standford, Stanford University Press, 490-507.
- 2002 - "Some Figures of Matter", in What is Materialism ?, Plì The Warwick Journal of Philosophy, Brassier, R. & Toscano, A. eds, vol. 12, Warwick, 2001, 5-13.
- 2006- "Mathematics, Metaphysics, Philosophy", in Duffy, S., (ed.)Virtual Mathematics, Manchester, Clinamen Press, 46-64.
- 2010- "The Early Levinas and Heidegger", in Levinas Studies, vol. 5, Pittsburgh, Duquenne University Press, pp. 43–64.
- Personal Website
- At Paris X Nanterre
- http://www.politicsandculture.org/2011/01/18/have-french-jews-veered-to-the-right/ Bruno Chaouat - Have French Jews Veered to the Right?